Facial Expressions - your experiences

I am in the middle of an Open Learn course (thanks Pixiefox for always posting about these. I would not have found this if not for your 3 good things)

It is about animal psychology. (These are quick courses - it's only a 12 hour course)

I was compelled to post one of the slides, because it was about human facial expressions. It reminded me of a test that we can do to test for autism (I have not as yet - it wasn't part of my own diagnosis.)

I didn't do too badly, but also had a laugh at what I put down.

Try to think about what your answers would be without being waylaid by my answers and the real answers. I would like to have split this picture and have some sort of reveal button. But that won't work here.

My answers:

Neurotypical approved answers Joy

I got the two basic ones right (happy/sad) but then didn't do as well as I thought I would. I still think I am right about my two types of anger Joy

Parents
  • I do not think that the given answers are particularly accurate in some cases. I think that (f) is the most inaccurate, that expression looks much more like general distress than disgust. Disgust almost always involves the corners of the mouth being pulled down and is more often than not with closed, rather than open lips, and also with wrinkling of the nose. I think they cocked up big time with that attribution.

• I suspect like FH said that the person is doing the faces to order rather than actually feeling those emotions. I don't know how they could capture those faces for real though.

Reply Children
  • I agree. I hope that you have a good day!

• I don't know how they could capture those faces for real though.

Probably just finding videos of people experiencing that emotion (someone getting a surprise party, an interaction with a bear, a child playing while having fun, idk). Because then they wouldn't have to pretend or even know they were part of a 'study'. 

..Although the footage would be bad - not having a good angle, lighting, screenshots of video always end up kinda blurry or pixelated, etc. And they'd have to track down the people in the video to see if they have permission to use it. You also cant know for sure what emotions the person was experiencing, you could do your best guess but like I start laughing when someone is yelling at me so y'know...

Maybe having a person like in the real thing (the actor or volunteer, etc) but have them go through different 'challenges' (ex put them in a room with a pile of rubbish) then get their reactions that way? They probably wouldn't be allowed to know what the study was so that they don't alter their reactions. But they might alter it anyway just because they are being watched (might feel suspicious of what the study is for and doesn't want to react too much so they don't do whatever is being tested 'wrong') and some people just pretend to be happy and stuff in public so a bad smell (for ex) they might just stay smilng. Maybe kids would be the best to do it one because they wont care so much.

I think its basically impossible to capture the faces for real life. (none of this is actually to someone.. just my brain at 6am. and now I have to get ready for school (which I should've already been doing))