What do you think about the idea that autistic people should have our own state

I am curious because there is an actual (online) movement for this which I am a part of and I am interested in your opinions

Parents
  • I think it would be no different to any other society, people will form groups, there will be dominant people and those who aren't that bothered. Some people will think that making others do group things will be good for them whilst others just want to be left in peace. Some pople are competitive and others aren't, some are artistic and others aren't. Food could be a big issue with some wanting a beige diet and others wanting colour and spice.

How will this proposed state fund itself?

Who will decide the rules?

WIll everybody be equal?

Who would police it?

Are there enough autistic people to keep the nuts and bolts of this society running, medical doctors, engineers, builders, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, midwives, psychotherapists, dentists etc?

Where is this uninhabited land?

How big would it need to be?

How would it's natural resourses be managed? If it had any to begin with of course.

'Taking land with the consent of the people living there', sounds a bit like a colonial takeover to me or a situation like the formation of Israel, peaceful to start with and then at war with it's neighbours. I'm not about to get into the rights and wrong of Israel, but I think its a good example of how a planned utopia can quickly become something rather different as more people join with different agenda's, trauma's and politics.

How would this new society defend itself? Would we all have to learn to fight and be a militia, or would we have some sort of standing military?

What about any NT partners, children, friends and other relatives? Would they be welcome?

• I think it would be no different to any other society, people will form groups, there will be dominant people and those who aren't that bothered. Some people will think that making others do group things will be good for them whilst others just want to be left in peace. Some pople are competitive and others aren't, some are artistic and others aren't. Food could be a big issue with some wanting a beige diet and others wanting colour and spice.

Yes, it would be a society of varying autistic people, but isn't that what NT society is like anyway, except we are prohibited from self-expressing?

Whatever resources we can find.

Probably the people who have a special interest in laws, politics etc.

WIll everybody be equal?

Yes.

Who would police it?

The people who join the police force.

Are there enough autistic people to keep the nuts and bolts of this society running, medical doctors, engineers, builders, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, midwives, psychotherapists, dentists etc?

I would assume so, given how many autistic people there are.

I've seen the uninhabited islands in the Pitcairn Islands proposed and maybe even the inhabited island (Pitcairn itself) if the citizens consent to it. I think that would be the ideal place.

That I do not know.

How would it's natural resourses be managed? If it had any to begin with of course.

They would primarily be used for funding the nation. Resources are very profitable in this world, of course.

'Taking land with the consent of the people living there', sounds a bit like a colonial takeover to me or a situation like the formation of Israel, peaceful to start with and then at war with it's neighbours. I'm not about to get into the rights and wrong of Israel, but I think its a good example of how a planned utopia can quickly become something rather different as more people join with different agenda's, trauma's and politics.

Colonialism takes land without the consent of the people there, so this isn't colonialist. Also, we certainly won't be taking land that's very important to several religions, that's in one of the most nationalist and fundamentalist regions of the world, and that's going to cause conflict in general.

How would this new society defend itself? Would we all have to learn to fight and be a militia, or would we have some sort of standing military?

There would have to be some kind of militia or military. Conscription would likely not be used because I don't imagine many autistic people would want to forcibly serve in a military.

What about any NT partners, children, friends and other relatives? Would they be welcome?

As long as they are comfortable living in an autistic society, of course.

Yes, it would be a society of varying autistic people, but isn't that what NT society is like anyway, except we are prohibited from self-expressing?

Whatever resources we can find.

Probably the people who have a special interest in laws, politics etc.

WIll everybody be equal?

Yes.

Who would police it?

The people who join the police force.

I would assume so, given how many autistic people there are.

I've seen the uninhabited islands in the Pitcairn Islands proposed and maybe even the inhabited island (Pitcairn itself) if the citizens consent to it. I think that would be the ideal place.

That I do not know.

They would primarily be used for funding the nation. Resources are very profitable in this world, of course.

Colonialism takes land without the consent of the people there, so this isn't colonialist. Also, we certainly won't be taking land that's very important to several religions, that's in one of the most nationalist and fundamentalist regions of the world, and that's going to cause conflict in general.

There would have to be some kind of militia or military. Conscription would likely not be used because I don't imagine many autistic people would want to forcibly serve in a military.

As long as they are comfortable living in an autistic society, of course.

Children