What do you think about the idea that autistic people should have our own state

I am curious because there is an actual (online) movement for this which I am a part of and I am interested in your opinions

Parents
  • I don't see how one could be carved out in the world without conquest and violence. So, I'm out.

• It's possible via two methods:

1. Claiming uninhabited territory (the most likely solution)

2. Taking land with the consent of the people living there

• A commune would probably be more viable.  Rather than our own nation state.

• Drink the Kool Aid Catwoman!  lol  You're right it could go pear shaped and be taken over by a Jim Jones  type figure.

There's 600 people on the discord server so this could really happen.  One of the Danish Communes survived for decades so it's possible it that it could work out relatively well.  I will be watching from afar.

• Honestly I'd hate it! Many peple would want to live somewhere warm and sunny, or hot and bright, in my language, I need seasons, I like wind and rain.

I think there would be to many variables to consider, I never want to smell bacon cooking ever again or fish frying, or BBQ's would I still be inside with my windows shut all the time?

I think some sort of takeover by some wannabe silver back would be pretty inevitable, those sort of people are never to be trusted especially around women and girls.

I suspect that someone like me would be kicked out or killed pretty quickly.

• I don't think it is fair to list in public which members of the forum I like and dislike.
    Rhetorical question.

Blush

• I don't think it is fair to list in public which members of the forum I like and dislike.  But it should be obvious from my posting history.

• I'm not sure I'd want to live there but an Autistic commune would be feasible.  But you'd have to have the right Autistics in it to make it work.

Absolutely!

If this forum is a microcosm of autistic society (lower support needs than some - I can't think which term I'm allowed to use now) then which members would you like to live with?

Rhetorical question.

Blush

• If you look at who autistics are (statistically speaking) you will have to exclude people.  You'll need to end up with more autistics with the capacity for work than people who need support.  Otherwise it won't function.  But I don't see why you can't attempt a commune.

So you need to heavily research communes.  Look at previous communes and learn from their mistakes and successes.  Copy what worked and don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

• Think about the vast array of skills there are in a human populace.  You'd need to replicate that but with autists only.

Given the amount of autistic people there are, I'd say with even half the population it would be feasible.

• I'm not sure I'd want to live there but an Autistic commune would be feasible

I agree. I'd certainly live there if we had some level of self-determination.

But you'd have to have the right Autistics in it to make it work.  So that's exclusionary.

The goal is to have most autistic people in the nation.

• It wouldn't be different because society (any society). needs workers in it for it to function.  Think about the vast array of skills there are in a human populace.  You'd need to replicate that but with autists only.  I suggest starting a commune and once you've got that working for a few years ,then you can upscale.

• I'm not sure I'd want to live there but an Autistic commune would be feasible.  But you'd have to have the right Autistics in it to make it work.  So that's exclusionary.

• I want that too, but NTs will always want us to be a part of their society unless we defend ourselves.

I think the majority of allistic people are either indifferent or hostile to autists being part of society, despite the advantages we sometimes afford to society,

While I would like society to be much more autism friendly, personally, I would not enjoy being in an exclusively autistic society at all.

• I want that too, but NTs will always want us to be a part of their society unless we defend ourselves.

I think the majority of allistic people are either indifferent or hostile to autists being part of society, despite the advantages we sometimes afford to society,

While I would like society to be much more autism friendly, personally, I would not enjoy being in an exclusively autistic society at all.

Children
No Data