New to NAS forums and my first posted question was flagged for spam/abuse almost immediately. Does anyone have experience of this happening?

Hey all,

I joined the NAS forums very recently and have been chatting with a few people across a couple of different forum threads. Earlier today I finally decided to post my first question in search of advice, as I've been encountering some difficulties enjoying one of my hobbies due to anxiety. I will admit that the question was quite long, but I was a bit taken aback to see that the question was almost immediately flagged as Spam/Abuse. I will say that I did try to edit the post as I thought I had made the text too large, so perhaps there is a possibility I accidentally posted it twice, but I don't know how likely that is. I made sure to submit an appeal as soon as I saw it.

Has anyone else had any issues with this? I am a little worried I may have done something wrong as, again, this was my first question posted on the forum!

Any info would be much appreciated Slight smile

Parents
  • Just bumping this.

I've started several threads on this subject over the 2 years I've been here but it's still happening and people are still being disturbed by it.

There seem to be several ways in which the spam filter (it was Akismet) can throw our posts out, including, but not limited to.

a.  Quoting from a post more than once.

b.  Adding more than one attachment.

c.  Adding text from somewhere else.

Unfortunately, we then get an error message saying that we have been reported which we haven't so that's a major stressor for people who have never experienced this before.

• I've been doing some testing around this and my findings show recent changes have improved things:

Quoting from a post more than once.

I can now quote from previous posts in the same thread up to 3 times - more than this will trigger a block.

Adding more than one attachment

I can now add up to 3 images OK

Adding text from somewhere else

It is simpler to select "paste without formatting" to remove this issue. You can then use the formatting tools at the bottom of the window you are typing your response into to make the text italic, bold ot whatever to show it is quoted.

• IT Manager, indeed! Thanks Iain, this is great. I think someone once said amending your own post too many times too.

• yes, this will activate it after 3 edits I believe.

There are also keywords that trigger it (I once used a word that was a contraction of only and fans and it triggered the block.

More than 3 links or linking to sites considered unsuitable (p0rn, gambling, drugs etc)

It is a sensitive wee beastie this filter.

• yes, this will activate it after 3 edits I believe.

There are also keywords that trigger it (I once used a word that was a contraction of only and fans and it triggered the block.

More than 3 links or linking to sites considered unsuitable (p0rn, gambling, drugs etc)

It is a sensitive wee beastie this filter.

Children
No Data