Lowering voting age

labour are toying with the idea of allowing 16 or 17 year old the vote. I think about time too, in the devolved assemblies you get the vote at 16. I don't think you can ask young people to be better citizens and do more for society without giving them a say on government.

Parents
  • i think they need to raise the voting age to be fair.

thinking on my own life.... a me even at age 25 was still developing.... shouldnt have had any right to say anything on politics as i didnt have my life in order and was bad decision maker.... i think perhaps there needs to be a thing where you have to have your life in order first and thus show to know how the world works and how to live, before your allowed a vote... this way then sure there maybe some 16 year olds who are developed beyond their years who slip into life easy, they can vote.... but me when i was in my 20s? .... hell no...i was living with parents never worked and none functional... why should i have a say on politics at that state? id be speaking from a position in which i vote for things without realising it is bad for living, it is bad for ability for anyone to survive... but i dont know at that time in my life as i dont function.

but some 16 year olds may... so perhaps then not age, but voting should be judged by your life and adulting situation.... although thats harder, more complex.... but sure i dont think people want a horde of none functional people who dont work, voting for things that increase taxes on workers so that workers can no longer live in this country no matter how hard they work... we need a bit of sense

• I’m inclined to believe that the age for everything should be 21, not just for voting, assuming that we had a properly working democratic system (which we don’t, as Covid clearly taught us) - I really do believe that the only way out of our current mess is an immediate return to traditional moral and social values in every area of our society and a total rollback of everything since the 1960’s should be actively considered as lessons have not been learned since both world wars 

• I really do believe that the only way out of our current mess is an immediate return to traditional moral and social values in every area of our society

Why stop in the 1960;s. Take away womens and blacks right to vote too. Make being gay a crime again. Get young children working as chimney sweeps and bring back carts and horses for freight transport.

If you were female, black, lesbian and had a 12 year old boy then your vision for a societal reset would be a vision of hell.

Chosing a very specific set of morales that you have a sense of nostalga for is not going to fix society - just bring back different evils that have been resolved with time.

Society is simply going through a part of its cycle that it has done repeatedly through history - we are currently in the 7th out of 8 stages of civilisation with the downfall very much in sight:

https://blog.adw.org/2016/10/eight-stages-rise-fall-civilizations/

This will be the first time it will have cycled at a global scale so the mechanisms holding it back will be significant and the trigger probably a world war - kind of depressing I'm afraid.

• I really do believe that the only way out of our current mess is an immediate return to traditional moral and social values in every area of our society

Why stop in the 1960;s. Take away womens and blacks right to vote too. Make being gay a crime again. Get young children working as chimney sweeps and bring back carts and horses for freight transport.

If you were female, black, lesbian and had a 12 year old boy then your vision for a societal reset would be a vision of hell.

Chosing a very specific set of morales that you have a sense of nostalga for is not going to fix society - just bring back different evils that have been resolved with time.

Society is simply going through a part of its cycle that it has done repeatedly through history - we are currently in the 7th out of 8 stages of civilisation with the downfall very much in sight:

https://blog.adw.org/2016/10/eight-stages-rise-fall-civilizations/

This will be the first time it will have cycled at a global scale so the mechanisms holding it back will be significant and the trigger probably a world war - kind of depressing I'm afraid.

Children
No Data