Lowering voting age

labour are toying with the idea of allowing 16 or 17 year old the vote. I think about time too, in the devolved assemblies you get the vote at 16. I don't think you can ask young people to be better citizens and do more for society without giving them a say on government.

Parents
  • As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't be Elections; or Politics.

We should learn to Govern ourselves.

No one is taught responsibility. Just taught meaningless information. Kids are taught 'Citizenship' and 'Laws'; in order to be cute, when claiming of someone else.

This is what the Americans were meant to base their society on; but then lost that vision whenever the Germans came to the Mid West; 160 Years ago.

• Interesting idea Desmond. 

In ancient Athens, citizens were encouraged to join in debates and vote on each decision, however because the population was so small (and "citizens" didn't include everyone) it was easier. It's known as direct democracy, but we now have representational democracy - because our nation is so huge, we can't all vote on every issue. Even though we have the internet, if there was an online referendum about every decision, it would probably crash the system!

So do you have any ideas as to how we should govern ourselves?

• Interesting idea Desmond. 

In ancient Athens, citizens were encouraged to join in debates and vote on each decision, however because the population was so small (and "citizens" didn't include everyone) it was easier. It's known as direct democracy, but we now have representational democracy - because our nation is so huge, we can't all vote on every issue. Even though we have the internet, if there was an online referendum about every decision, it would probably crash the system!

So do you have any ideas as to how we should govern ourselves?

Children