The Assembly on BBC1

This programme aired on BBC1 yesterday, and is now available on iPlayer.

It's very simple - it's an adaptation of a French format and features a group of neurodivergent people interviewing Michael Sheen.

I wondered if anyone watched it and what you thought.

Parents
  • I watched this programme with another member of my household (who has less experience of Autistic people across different age groups).

It helped start some educational conversations between us.

One thing I would have liked to have seen included (a bit more) would have been: what those participants interviewing Michael Sheen felt about their experience of having taken part (did it "work" the way they had hoped?).

• I watched this programme with another member of my household (who has less experience of Autistic people across different age groups).

It helped start some educational conversations between us.

One thing I would have liked to have seen included (a bit more) would have been: what those participants interviewing Michael Sheen felt about their experience of having taken part (did it "work" the way they had hoped?).

Children
  • I am glad the programme helped start conversations in your house!

However, I wonder if the participants were asked how they felt about the experience would the show have become more like a documentary as opposed to a beautiful insight into different (neurodivergent) means of human connection?

Rhetorical question by the way!

Sometimes, there doesn’t need to be an explanation of how someone feels about something or the show itself but just an appreciation of who they are and I think that is what the show in its current format allows for.