Going for a flat viewing

Hiya so I’m really freaking excited to go and look at a flat I really like. It’s private rent affordable for me and pretty much perfect! 
but I’m really nervous because I’ve never been to a flat viewing on my own before. What things do I need to ask and consider? I get it I’m 23 but this is the first time I’ve done this completely on my own and I need a bit of advice 

Parents
  • What things do I need to ask and consider?

You need to ask about the financial side:

How much deposit, weekly or monthly rental cost, what sort of guaranteed are needed, if any insurance is needed, what bills are included and what do you pay for and what the exit process involves (typically they will expect the flat returned spotless but there are sometimes charges for a clean applied regardless of the condition).

What furniture is included (if any).

Look for things that are broken or rotten - door that don't close properly, lights that don't work, dirty or damaged furniture, mould on ceilings, very bouncy floors in the bathroom, dripping taps etc. These all need to be either fixed or documented on entry so you are not charged for them on exit (a common scam).

Ask about the neighbours - any complaints about them. Having an antisocial neighbour is a huge issue.

Ask about any work planned for the flat, building or neighbourhood in the coming year. If they are planning to replace all the plumbing in 2 months time then that will be a huge inconvenience to you.

Take a video recording of the flat at this time too as it is not uncommon for stuff the be there in viewings but gone by the time you move in so you get less furnishings. Take the time to compare this when you move in and flag up discrepencies straight away.

Thats it on the negative side - try to feel what the flat is like and listen for any noise from neighbours, traffic and/or local schools etc.

Good luck

• Yes agreed with all of the above. I would recommend you take a notebook as well so you can write down what they say, just so you don't forget. I think that will help you a lot. It helped me.

Congrats by the way! This is a big step to take and hopefully the start of a fabulous adventure! Blush

• Yes agreed with all of the above. I would recommend you take a notebook as well so you can write down what they say, just so you don't forget. I think that will help you a lot. It helped me.

Congrats by the way! This is a big step to take and hopefully the start of a fabulous adventure! Blush

Children
No Data