Exploring Sensory Sensitivities: Tips, Tricks, and Experiences

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion about sensory sensitivities, as I know it's something many of us in the autism community deal with on a daily basis. Whether it's sensitivity to light, sound, touch, taste, or smell, sensory challenges can significantly impact our everyday lives.

I thought it would be helpful to share tips, tricks, and personal experiences related to managing sensory sensitivities. What strategies have you found helpful in coping with sensory overload or discomfort? Are there specific tools or techniques that have made a difference for you?

Additionally, feel free to share any experiences or anecdotes related to sensory sensitivities. It can be comforting and validating to know that others understand what you're going through.

Let's use this thread as a space to support and learn from each other. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and insights!

Best regards,

Parents
  • One thing I have found (as an adult) is not to completely overlook / dismiss some techniques more usually recommended for use by children.  Just explore ways of adapting / adopting the guidance to a more adult version - thej give it a try and see if it might offer something beneficial to the adult you.  It can be pretty inexpensive with a bit of thought.

For instance: I know I often used to enjoy jumping up and down as a young child (not always to universal approval by some adults in my life in those days!). 

The mini trampolines more popular today were only an expensive rarity in my childhood.

However, a thoughtful adult gave (the child) me a good skipping rope - yep, I thought it was great and eventually wore that thing out - but got less hassle from adults along the way (they coped with "child skipping rope" better than "child enjoying jumping up and down - for no particular reason" well, from the onlookers point of view).

Recently, the adult me has realised that you can now get reasonably priced plastic skipping ropes aimed at adult exercise (I don't know why I did not think of that before now).  I am not keen on going to the gym (sensory nightmare parameters) ...but an easily portable adult skipping rope is a flexible location to use it winner!

• One thing I have found (as an adult) is not to completely overlook / dismiss some techniques more usually recommended for use by children.  Just explore ways of adapting / adopting the guidance to a more adult version - thej give it a try and see if it might offer something beneficial to the adult you.  It can be pretty inexpensive with a bit of thought.

For instance: I know I often used to enjoy jumping up and down as a young child (not always to universal approval by some adults in my life in those days!). 

The mini trampolines more popular today were only an expensive rarity in my childhood.

However, a thoughtful adult gave (the child) me a good skipping rope - yep, I thought it was great and eventually wore that thing out - but got less hassle from adults along the way (they coped with "child skipping rope" better than "child enjoying jumping up and down - for no particular reason" well, from the onlookers point of view).

Recently, the adult me has realised that you can now get reasonably priced plastic skipping ropes aimed at adult exercise (I don't know why I did not think of that before now).  I am not keen on going to the gym (sensory nightmare parameters) ...but an easily portable adult skipping rope is a flexible location to use it winner!

Children
No Data