Has anyone done a degree with Open University?

I'm currently really struggling with work because of all the responsibilities and overstimulation and debating going back to education so I can have some more control over my schedule and also open up some more career opportunities. I thought OU could be good because it's online so there's less social stress. Specifically interested in doing a Psychology degree with Open University (full-time) because this has been my special interest for years now.

Has anyone done a degree with OU? Would you recommend full-time? Did you find that they were supportive and understanding of autistic people?

Parents Reply Children
  • My problem is that by now I do know quite a bit about my chosen subjects and have problems getting books and stuff, I really need access to a university library, my subject/s arn't technical, but I'd love to have the stimulation of discussion and feedback. I'd have to move back to England, probably Exeter to follow some of my more esoteric interests as they seem to do the courses that I'd want to do, only I don't want to move to England not even Exeter, its to busy and crowded and I'd have to do so much catching up with tech. If I ever won the lottery that I don't do, I'd be a perpetual student.

• When you read at home, there's no essays to write, no seminars, no one to ask questions of, no feedback

That is a big problem.  When you're at university whether it's a brick or mortar one or online like the open university.  There are always colleagues in the same boat as me. And tutors to help me out.  At home when I get stuck on a technical problem, it's textbooks or the internet.  My extended family are useless, not even an A level between them, (council house mentality).

I was lucky when it came to education fees, I got government grants, training grants from the DHS and the OU was very cheap in my time.  In 2012 I paid £7000 for a one year master's Degree and my money was refunded on the first day because one student who had a research council grant didn't turn up and didn't inform them in advance that he wasn't coming.  It was too late to re-advetrise the grant so they offered it to me and refunded my tuition fees.

• Nathan I agree studying is fun, I'd love to do another degree, I went to uni as a mature student at the age of 42, hung out with people younger than my kids, had great relationships with my lecturers, it was one of the best times of my life. I simply can't afford to do another degree and few places do the courses I'm interested in.

I don't like this thinking that mixes education and training, education isn't always about getting a "better" job, it can be about the joy of learning and having the oportunity and structure that a proper course gives you. When you read at home, there's no essays to write, no seminars, no one to ask questions of, no feedback, other than a confused, 'what do you want to read that for?' from bemused friends and family.

• i dunno its pretty passive. sit back and take money for nothing. if your tenant bugs you all the time evict them and get a new one... there is millions of people needing housing so you can fill a tenancy spot in a single day.

peoples main complaints often are just the dirt they refuse to clean themselves... like mould... yeah houses get mouldy, its up to the occupant to clean where they live. i never understood the complaints like that.... its like whining your teeth are dirty because you refuse to brush your teeth and then claiming its the dentists fault and expecting the dentist to clean your teeth every day. 

can always hire a letting agency to manage it for you too, and they can be brutal and to the point and get your rent without spending much on maintenance.

• Except studying is fun and being a landlord would be a pain in the ***

• I've checked my open university fees in the 1990s.

A 30 credit course was £275

A 60 credit course was £425

120 credits is a full time student.

So it was possible to study full time for £850 per year.

• aye prices of degrees these days dont seem to be worth it... for the price of a degree now i can buy 2 properties in a cheap place like hull and rent them out and earn more than minimum wage a month off the rent and be set for life with no need for work. so smart person would more like get a property portfolio these days instead of a qualification.