What's your superpower?

Partly because I'm trying to cheer myself up, partly because we need a bit of positivity in life and also because I'd like to get to know you all a bit better, what is your autistic superpower? I prefer to think of the positives that being autistic brings rather than dwell on the things I struggle with and I like to think of my strengths as "superpowers".

Mine are empathy (sometimes my heart can feel like it's going to break or explode!) and spotting details / patterns, particularly in numbers and equations. I also think I see more details in nature than my neurotypical friends (nature is my "special interest") and I get far more joy and excitement from nature than most people do. What are yours?

(Just I case it's confused anyone, I've changed my username, I hope that's OK?)

Parents
  • I have a very good memory short term and long term and my empathy shines like a beacon. As Number said I find it a bit of a curse but also a gift, depending on how things are for me at the given time I guess. I don't like emojis. Lol. I'm not sure that's a superpower but it should be.

• I have a very good memory short term and long term and my empathy shines like a beacon.

That’s great! What kind of information do you naturally remember easily?

For me, I find it very easy to remember facts, numbers and dates, I think this is because of my monotropic brain (interest based nervous system). I am a human vacuum for knowledge, particularly relating to my dedicated interest (our autistic experiences).

• I remember very little unless I write it down but do have a fabulous long term memory. What I would give to have a good short term though 

• Some make me happy and some make me extremely sad. 

Yes I get that, music evokes the same intensity of emotion for me. The intensity of feeling and being is one of the many reasons I love being autistic!

• Seems like you have some lovely memories of your grandad! Sensory experiences are so heavily intertwined with sentimental memories.

• I do get memories from smells also. My grandad who I adored used to give me wine gums when I was a child, they were always in his suit jacket pocket and he was a smoker…. If ever I have wine gums or similar now I can smell tobacco smoke on them.

• Absolutely pretty much anything to be honest. Some remind me of my mum and what she played when I was growing up, certain songs remind me of friends from the past and present, holidays and anything else in between. Some make me happy and some make me extremely sad. 

• Absolutely pretty much anything to be honest. Some remind me of my mum and what she played when I was growing up, certain songs remind me of friends from the past and present, holidays and anything else in between. Some make me happy and some make me extremely sad. 

Children