Burnt-out and need a friend!

Hi,

I was diagnosed late last year at the age of 27. I’m struggling with what feels like a constant burnout! I just feel like I need someone to talk to who understands what I’m going through :/ 

Parents
  • Hello. I'm still rather new to understanding burnout too. I know the feeling of just not really wanting to do anything, not really caring and just not having much of an outlook for the future, but it's linked to a clear event. I am undergoing therapy though (with someone who is autistic too) and it has helped massively in terms of processing things, as I don't have to explain how autism works or anything like that.

I would thoroughly recommend that. Structured therapy maybe can work for autistics if it's adapted but I think the general consensus is that it's not really suitable. 

• I’m glad therapy is helping you :) I’m currently seeing a therapist too but I don’t think they have any knowledge in autism so it’s still very difficult! I just wish there were more people like me nearby so I could have people that understand 

• What type of therapy is it? I'm seeing a person centered therapist. There's an online directory for UK based neurodivergent therapist too.

I had CBT and I struggled for the same reason, I didn't feel like I gained anything from it.

You're always welcome to message me on here if you have any questions about anything you feel could be helpful.

• I hear you. Dreading it is probably a sign that it might not be the best?

I definitely think an autistic therapist would help you but that's just my suggestion! And even then you might have to try a few different ones to find one you gel with.

I was lucky that I gelled with mine from the off but I gave myself a few days before committing to further sessions. I could have easily gotten overexcited by this fancy new therapy idea!

There's so many things I understand about myself that I didn't even think of 6 months ago, it's fascinating 

• I feel like it’s helped a bit but I still dread it every time. I still feel very uncomfortable and not fully understood 

• Ah I see. Do you feel you're gaining from it?

In my case it has gotten to the stage where I look forward to it because I like having an outlet to get things out, and also it doesn't feel like I'm talking to my school headteacher! More like the friendly counsellor or something. Grin

• Ah I see. Do you feel you're gaining from it?

In my case it has gotten to the stage where I look forward to it because I like having an outlet to get things out, and also it doesn't feel like I'm talking to my school headteacher! More like the friendly counsellor or something. Grin

Children
  • I hear you. Dreading it is probably a sign that it might not be the best?

I definitely think an autistic therapist would help you but that's just my suggestion! And even then you might have to try a few different ones to find one you gel with.

I was lucky that I gelled with mine from the off but I gave myself a few days before committing to further sessions. I could have easily gotten overexcited by this fancy new therapy idea!

There's so many things I understand about myself that I didn't even think of 6 months ago, it's fascinating 

• I feel like it’s helped a bit but I still dread it every time. I still feel very uncomfortable and not fully understood