Insect photos with IDs

I'm hoping I won't be the only person uploading to this thread.

Here's my 1st: the honey bee.

Without this bee we'd be lost as they are essential for crop pollination.

Taken in my garden on an angelica flower.

• Bathroom moth (sorry, didn't catch it's name:)

• No pics this year yet but have this from last year - Mason bee nesting in the bee hotel...

• I wish I could get a shot like that...

DOF is quite narrow, so the lens aperture is quite open, and it's sharp as a tack so that must be fast shutter speed, I guess... Butterfly fills the frame quite well which must be a long focal length, maybe 400mm? 

• Butterfly

Monarch.

Stunning.

Thank you for sharing Blush

• Looking forward to seeing a pic of this Ok hand tone1Slight smile

• Thank you for resurrecting this thread Ant

I do hope a photo will be forthcoming.

• I saw today the trippiest, greenest moth ever which I think will hopefully turn into an Angle Shade moth. No photo soz.

• abut 10 years ago when my 15 year old daughter was staying with us I went out the back for a smoke and was confronted by one of these beasts lurking on the side of a bucket, it's abdomen was striped back and white giving it the look of an unholy cross between an unfeasibly big wasp and a larger beetle...

I drew the attention of the rest of the family to this frankly disturbing sight and after some googling on behalf of my daughter found out what it was and that it was harmless. 

Later that night she fell asleep on the sofa next to me whilst we were watching T.V. (as was her habit) 

Some time later I heard her say (apparently in her sleep) the word "Cockchafer followed by a low giiggle.. 

If I thought that was the end of "Cockchafer shenanegans" I was wrong....

Some weeks later I am filling up the Daimler with LPG, a long process involving being rooted to the spot holding down the button whilst the liquid gas is pumped into the car via high pressure hoses and I spy waling through the muck on the floor another Cockchafer beetle,and I don't; think it's enjoying the diesel residue. Being me, I so want to rescue it and move it to a place of safety but first I need to hold down this button... 

Eventually the torture ends, I go rescue Callum the Cockchafer, pay for my gas and leave.. As I drive away there is a strange noise outside, a sort of "whaaaang" noise and it seems to be connected to my trailer.. I get out take a quick look all seems to be in order so I start the 30 mile drive, that I have to do that evening...

On my way home a guy flashes me and tells me that my trailer is "sparking". I stop, walk around, do an electrical inspection and test, can see nothing untoward, nothing scraping etc, so I carry on. IT happens again someone flashes me, but  know the trailer is O.K. so I ignore this one But when I get to Solihull and someone else flashes me and tells there is something loose moving under my trailer, well this time I really had to LOOK. 

LO and behold, I'd caught some sort of pipe up in the undercarriage of my trailer reminiscent of the sort of thing you see on the back of a big truck..  I followed it forwards to see where it had got snagged and found the other end was firmly connected to the LPG fitting in the back of my car...

The loud "Whaaang" sound I'd heard was the fitting at the pump finally failing as I'd got about thirty feet away from the pump!

My goodness that hose had some stretch and strength in it!

A: thank goodness the pump people had engineered in a failure point, and

B: Thank Goodness my car LPG fitting had a one way valve so I had not been pissing LPG back out the pipe as it sparked away under my trailer for about 25 miles...

C: I was also thankful that morrisons were so nice about it when I took them their L.P.G. hose back...

• That's an interesting looking creature!

• I really don't want to Google the name lol

• I really don't want to Google the name lol

• I have no idea what an adult one looks like though.

Like something from a horror movie ... ie the beetle I mean, also known as Maybug ...

• Oddly enough they're on the "any other species" check sheet for the BTO Garden BirdWatch. I have no idea what an adult one looks like though.

• I think it's a Cockchafter (real name) Beetle grub.

Yuk.

We've just found some in our garden .... Scream

• What the hell is this? I was digging out the start of my patio area and discovered this chunky white thing No mouth 

Luckily my little sister was around and able to deal with it for me before I passed out from shock and fright.

• no idea who he is,

Magpie moth.

Lovely photos.

• I have this chap staying with me at the Moment, no idea who he is, photographed the bee yesterday on my crop of thistles.

• Nah, make the butterfly HUGE and be walking the dog with that long tongue that they have, and for a bit of whimsy be carrying a parasol...

• Can we have a normal sized butterfly walking a very small dog. I think that'd be less weird than a giant sized butterfly walking a normal sized dog. Of course.