What do you like most about your home?

I was just talking to this lovely nurse and was explaining that going outside makes me anxious because of the people and unfamiliar surroundings and she asked me what I like most about my home and what makes it safe for me. And I thought that would be interesting to ask here as well, if you're comfortable to say of course :) 

I like a lot of things about my home. All my favourite possessions are there. It's peaceful and I know I'm always comfortable and happy there. And probably the best thing is it's in the countryside.

Not a lot I know but they are big things for me.

Parents
  • Hi, The thing I love most about my home is that, it’s for sale. This isn’t a negative statement. We have lived in the same village for 22 years and mostly enjoyed it. My wife and I were born 4 miles from where I live.

we have decided to move to Cornwall and start a new chapter in our lives. I’ve been struggling to live in a neurotypical world for 55 years and now I know why I struggle it has made our minds up. We have found a house with outbuildings and 2 acres of woodland. It is about a two mile walk from the coast and has no neighbours within about 1/2 mile. Our plan is to convert two outbuildings into ’lets’ for autistic people a sort of autistic retreat, very quiet and obviously very autistic  friendly if that makes sense. An ideal place for people in burnout. A place where people can recharge. My wife is going to carry on as a district nurse and I’m going to concentrate on our project. That’s what is going to make me happy in my new home. 

• Wow! WOW. That’s FANTASTIC. Sounds like a dream I might have! And this is your reality Slight smile

That’s such a wonderful idea. I absolutely love Cornwall - it’s so beautiful. 
    I quite understand that for privacy reasons you might not want to say - but can I ask what part of Cornwall are you moving to? I love St Ives and the West Penwith area.

The idea of a retreat for Autistic people is wonderful. 
    We’ve also lived in the same place for over 20 years and we hope to move sometime in the next 2 or 3 years too. It’s exciting isn’t it? Sometimes the time is right to make that change. 
    I hope it goes brilliantly well for you. Cornwall is so special. 

• Thanks, we originally thought of just moving to a nearby village, downsizing and having no mortgage. Our plan was to then move to Cornwall in 5 years time. I have an old school friend from Primary school, she gave me a bit of a shake, she told me that if i don’t to it now, then I would be 60 in 5 years time and never move again. It is really scary but she is right. The house we like is near Tintagel but this could change as we haven’t sold yet. Where ever it is, it will be away from the world.

Im really looking forward to working out things like sensory lighting and getting things like craft supplies. I would love a nature watching station. I was thinking of doing a post for peoples input on what would make an ideal retreat. I know we can’t be everything to everyone, but input would be good I think. I’ve seen retreats that are for about 20 people but I personally couldn’t think of anything worse, I need my own company.

• I was thinking of doing a post for peoples input on what would make an ideal retreat. I know we can’t be everything to everyone, but input would be good I think.

Please do Roy.

That would make an interesting thread.

All the very best to you and your wife for this great project.

• I was thinking of doing a post for peoples input on what would make an ideal retreat. I know we can’t be everything to everyone, but input would be good I think.

Please do Roy.

That would make an interesting thread.

All the very best to you and your wife for this great project.

Children
No Data