Why can't NTs ever answer a straightforward question with a straightforward answer?

God, it's like getting blood out of a stone sometimes!

Usually what happens is, I'm having a conversation, one of them says something confusing. I ask what they mean and they either ask another question, or make fun of me, or stare blankly. The more I ask for clarification, the weirder they get. It's like they're playing a game.

So I usually just give up and shut up.

Why is it so frigging difficult to answer a straightforward question??

Parents
  • This drives me up the wall. I ask a very simple question, and they answer with a question, or by guessing what I want to know and answering a different question, or by ignoring it or making fun of me.

There is one person I know who is the worst for this. I feel like he's trolling me every time I talk to him because of his refusal to answer questions. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes for me to get an answer and he blames me, even though I'm asking the simplest things in plain English. He is always trying to guess my motives or look for hidden meanings in what I say (there never are any!).

Even more annoying is when he tells me what is going on in my own head, and I have to tell him "no I don't think that" but he doesn't believe me. He projects his own convoluted emotional messy thoughts onto me. I'm very logical and if I'm asking a question then I literally just want to know the answer to that question, I do not have a Machiavellian side like him.

• This drives me up the wall. I ask a very simple question, and they answer with a question, or by guessing what I want to know and answering a different question, or by ignoring it or making fun of me.

There is one person I know who is the worst for this. I feel like he's trolling me every time I talk to him because of his refusal to answer questions. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes for me to get an answer and he blames me, even though I'm asking the simplest things in plain English. He is always trying to guess my motives or look for hidden meanings in what I say (there never are any!).

Even more annoying is when he tells me what is going on in my own head, and I have to tell him "no I don't think that" but he doesn't believe me. He projects his own convoluted emotional messy thoughts onto me. I'm very logical and if I'm asking a question then I literally just want to know the answer to that question, I do not have a Machiavellian side like him.

Children
  • Untoward. I hear you loud and clear there. I have a friend like that too. I ask her what she means and she says, 'don't you understand?'

'No, that's why I'm asking.'

and then she goes down some kind of rabbit hole making fun of me. I stop talking to her then. Next time I'm going to say 'I give up on this conversation as I'm totally confused and you're not explaining or helping.'