Confused

I'm 17 and I got diagnosed this summer. I've noticed that after I told one of my friends I'm autistic, she started copying me. She seemed to start bringing things to my attention that are deemed "autistic". For example, if i offered her some sort of food, she would go "i don't like the texture of that", she covers her ears when she sees i am doing that (if we're in a noisy space) and if she touches something with a texture (like a velvet dress in a shop), she will go "ew no i don't like that texture, it feels so bad".

I'm not sure how to explain it exactly but hopefully you get the idea. I don't know if i am being selfish and stupid but she only started doing this after I told her about my autism and it really frustrates me because it feels like she is trying to be "autistic" and I don't understand because it seems like it is for attention. Am I being stupid? 

Parents
  • I suspect the reason that some people aren't believed when they tell others they are autistic, or would like a diagnosis, is because there are people who behave like this, possibly for some deep seated mental health-related reason. 

It deserves some understanding or compassion because it clearly isn't the action of a well-balanced person and something seems to be wrong.  It might be a means of attention-seeking; or perhaps she has feelings of inadequency, or lacks self-confidence, and is looking for an 'explanation'.  

I would suggest not cofronting her about it or seeking an explanation but just letting it go; eventually, an explanation might become apparent.  

• I suspect the reason that some people aren't believed when they tell others they are autistic, or would like a diagnosis, is because there are people who behave like this, possibly for some deep seated mental health-related reason. 

It deserves some understanding or compassion because it clearly isn't the action of a well-balanced person and something seems to be wrong.  It might be a means of attention-seeking; or perhaps she has feelings of inadequency, or lacks self-confidence, and is looking for an 'explanation'.  

I would suggest not cofronting her about it or seeking an explanation but just letting it go; eventually, an explanation might become apparent.  

Children
  • Yes, I don’t think i will confront her as she is my closest friend and I really don’t want to upset her. Your explanation is really useful, thank you!! i’ll keep an eye out and see what happens! thanks for the advice!!