Urgh. Anything positive to discuss?

The world seems grim right now with Covid, Brexit, endless atrocities, and my cold, uncaring birth family are going to the extreme to prove they don't give two hoots about me.

Is there anything nice we can discuss? e.g. I'm so happy that All Creatures Great and Small and The Great British Bake Off are coming back in the next few weeks. Also Strictly Come Dancing. Lots of silly shows to distract us.

Maybe this is a thread for people who have had enough, to come and talk about lighter, happier subjects.

Parents
  • The tv show "Lucifer" is often very funny, if that helps. Lucifer retires to LA, meets a policewoman called Chloe Decker who intrigues him and ends up consulting for the LAPD. After that, you won't believe what happens next...

• I always avoided Lucifer as I thought it was about the devil and would be scary.

• These instinctive choices often serve us well KikiCat.

Particularly the theological ones. Most of my really bad life choices were not instinctive. But that is the nature of pernicious evil... The show itself is far less scary than you would expect, but like the majotrity of television if it isn't actually hurtful to the soul, it's a bit of a waste of your time, and the commuincation is all "one way", with YOU as the recipient.

And T.V. can be massively addictive, taking as many hours out of your real "god given" life as a well controlled heroin habit! Just say no and go and do the ironing. If you are male and have not tried Ironing, it's a secret the women have been keepiing from us for ages. I haven;t doen any for quite a while now, but it's a great thing to do. you start with a mess, and at teh end tehre is order, and YOU made it happen. The process allows one time to legitimately enjoy a piece of music, or your own thoughts, without interruption because the activity itself makes a positive contribution to everyones lives. (yeah, as a bloke you'll soon run out of your own ironing, if you want an opportunity in the context of a busy family to take a bit of time to get baked and really listen to Dark Side of the Moon... Then you'll need to do their ironing too. And guess what? They'll be glad to let you. The army taught me both how to Iron your clothes and also how to kill you quickly at a distance of 25 strides.

Guess which turned out to be the more useful skill?

Yet still feminists discard the role as "unworthy"... Amazing! To actually suceed in running a home, you have to sucessfully excercise a great deal of skill and control. 

Sorry, I've just read a powerfully provoking book entitled "this perfect day" by Someone called Ira Levin, and it's shaken up my perosonal "bag of values" again. that sort of thing makes me generally overly talkative. Sadly the tasks I should be doing, do not include Ironing. BUt there vaccuming to be done, that feels like weilding power and making change, and makes a universally positive difference!

• These instinctive choices often serve us well KikiCat.

Particularly the theological ones. Most of my really bad life choices were not instinctive. But that is the nature of pernicious evil... The show itself is far less scary than you would expect, but like the majotrity of television if it isn't actually hurtful to the soul, it's a bit of a waste of your time, and the commuincation is all "one way", with YOU as the recipient.

And T.V. can be massively addictive, taking as many hours out of your real "god given" life as a well controlled heroin habit! Just say no and go and do the ironing. If you are male and have not tried Ironing, it's a secret the women have been keepiing from us for ages. I haven;t doen any for quite a while now, but it's a great thing to do. you start with a mess, and at teh end tehre is order, and YOU made it happen. The process allows one time to legitimately enjoy a piece of music, or your own thoughts, without interruption because the activity itself makes a positive contribution to everyones lives. (yeah, as a bloke you'll soon run out of your own ironing, if you want an opportunity in the context of a busy family to take a bit of time to get baked and really listen to Dark Side of the Moon... Then you'll need to do their ironing too. And guess what? They'll be glad to let you. The army taught me both how to Iron your clothes and also how to kill you quickly at a distance of 25 strides.

Guess which turned out to be the more useful skill?

Yet still feminists discard the role as "unworthy"... Amazing! To actually suceed in running a home, you have to sucessfully excercise a great deal of skill and control. 

Sorry, I've just read a powerfully provoking book entitled "this perfect day" by Someone called Ira Levin, and it's shaken up my perosonal "bag of values" again. that sort of thing makes me generally overly talkative. Sadly the tasks I should be doing, do not include Ironing. BUt there vaccuming to be done, that feels like weilding power and making change, and makes a universally positive difference!

Children
  • LIfe is too short indeed, and the way my life is currently, I don't have the time or need to do ironing.

I just hope the society in which I live doesn't make it a prohibited activity for some woke reason before I next get to do some! 

Yes that sounds ridiculous, but it's only of a similar level of unbelievable stupidity executed by bad actors that I've experienced first hand by flying a tiny kids drone in my own back garden, and witness increasingly on a wider scale on the evening news...

• Like I said....life is too short :-)

• What does this mean, I'm not sure?

• So you don't have other people to look after i.e. children and you can do your own thing, basically? If you have to put yourself last all the time and look after others 24/7 it is exhausting without 5 minutes to think your own thoughts and look after yourself.

Well done for looking after yourself though, many people can't.

• I don't know about that. I can't see a way the human race is ever going to be united again, unless there is a huge disaster which forces us to work together. 

• There's a bit of skill in it, otherwise it'd be boring work!

Try pressing less hard, and feeling the fabric as it flows and changes under the hot iron... I don't get to do it much now if ever, and as I describe it, I'm actually missing it! 

• When I iron, I actually manage to iron creases INTO the fabric. So I end up with more than when I started

• Too focused on being Numero Uno, instead of being Good Enough.

• I have to run my home, all by myself, and get pi$$ed off so often.

However, It was the making of me. Thumbsup tone1

• We have not been set apart from each other forever, I had positive confirmation this week when a bunch of strangers both stood up for my right to have a potentially unpopular view of the world but also went to lengths I thought which I thought were the stuff of Robin Williams films to explain to the ignorant exactly what it was that I was trying to communicate oriiginally. I did not expect it at all, but a tiny bit of solidarity emerged and a whole bunch of people expeosed themselves as having a reall honest understanding of what relating to each other whether zeeps or zoodles. I was genuinely moved to joy by how some of you acted and expressed yourselves, and that does not happen very often for me! There are universal good values that we can all bind ourselves too, if we choose. Namaste. 

• I agree that no one is winning right now. We've built a world where no one is happy, everyone is struggling and lonely. Where will this end...

There is a war between women though, that really shocked me when I became a mum. The Working Mother vs. the Stay At Home Mother. Each group is jealous of the other and does their best to point out how hard their own life is and how easy the other group has it.

If only women could pull together and help each other like we used to when women worked together to bring up their children in groups. Now we've been set against each other forever it seems.

• It's not just women, NONE of us are winning very much at the moment, really.

Yes it is to one sort of person, but when it was thrust upon me, even working under a barrage of misframing and criticism, it gave me a modicum of control over my life, which I found quite addictive. My partner was lucky enough to be able to outsource subsatntial parts of childcare to me, starting with nighfeeding and expending into whatever else it turned out I could do. Some women have more manly men and get less of that sort of thing. At risk of sounding a little harsh I'd say, serves 'em right should have picked the little spergy bloke up when he wanted you...

But I know of that endless peer pressure and criticism of which you speak in different areas of my life. Being not as the T.V. sets portrays how people should be is difficult, no matter what form it takes.

• I don't doing ironing cos I CBA and life is too short 

• Running a home is a very lonely and thankless task though. We don't get any 'job appraisals' where our bosses tell us how well we're doing. We don't have any managers or colleagues to turn to if things go wrong or just to chat to.

We're generally looked down on as lazy and pointless if we stay at home with children. Hidden away from public eyes who don't see the loneliness, exhaustion and fear of looking after little children day in day out. We have to be on duty 24/7 otherwise a child could get ill or injured. We can't even go to the loo in private. Even when out with our children, the public judges how good a mother we are and comments on our skills and berates us if we show any tiredness or irritability.

Not a fun role in any way, I'd rather be out enjoying an interesting job. Talking to other adults, using my brain, free from worry. Then I get told I'm selfish for not staying at home with my children. Women just can't win!