Is there a type of autistic person interested in words?

The stereotyped autistic person is obsessed with maths, science, technology, but I wondered if there is another type who is obsessed with words, correcting word mistakes, dictionaries, learning new words etc. A Word Nerd.

I am a proud Word Nerd, I have zero interest or skills in maths, science, technology. It is a reason I didn't even consider I was autistic until I was in my 40s/50s- I wasn't a computer geek, so I couldn't be autistic, could I?

What do you think?

• We find who we need.

• I like this reading upside down too. and mirrored. Fun stuff. This is very hard to in cursive though! I am not so good as you with the spelling though. Letters sometimes scramble as I think and type them, coming out out of order or with elements of the word I want to use, or am thinking of, before and or after it. If I can spell a word out loud as I type it will get it right, though.

ha- the netflix bumbles, so true.

I share your love of languages too. I would like to know 4 before I live this planet. I have english. spanish and Japanese. I am choosing a forth now. It's a tossup between Hawaiian and maybe a western European language.

• words and well crafted, thoughtful, passages really thrill me. I love to say a word over and over till it becomes detached from it's meaning and it makes me laugh. Then I bring back the meaning, richer in texture than before.

I l used to like diagramming sentences too. I would have to try and see if I remember how.. hmm.. maybe I'll do that.

I am the deer-in-the-headlights when it comes to maths but I can think about numbers visually in euclidean (a fav word) geometric terms, usually as the percentage and associative degree value around its circumference. I am very fond of the number 5 for it's unique properties as a prime number for it's balancing function. 

I do like computers too but as a tool to get work done, to look up words and write with. I like to write.

Some other fav words: Exigency, Perspicacity, droll, inchoate, nascence, palimpsest.   

How lovely to think about words!

• Exactly! hahaha. If he'd literally killed her, she wouldn't be typing!!

Honestly! Rolling eyes 

• Someone online wrote: My boyfriend was so angry that he literally killed me.

I hope not!!!

• I willn't disagree with you there.

• Oh yes, don't take on other people's jobs. Definitely not.

• Why ever did you think I meant you were being abusive? I don't understand.

I meant that I can get obsessed with people then eventually I realise they are using me/ they are narcissists/ they are shallow etc. and I lose interest. They wonder why I suddenly disappear Joy And it's saved me from them.

• Ug, the most annoying thing is people 'giving you stuff to do', my first reaction is thinking "fxxkoff, I've got plenty of my own stuff to do".

• I'm not being abusive i'm just trying to explain to you what restricted interests are.  

• No, I can't say I've ever been interested in things as specific as those. I dabble in things, I have an interest, learn a bit about it, then move on e.g. Viking world history, MotoGP riders, dyslexia, Maneskin. I meet people who really are obsessed with those subjects and I think 'gosh, who cares what their shoe size is, move on' Joy 

I've often had people excitedly show me some information about a former interest of mine and thought 'why are they showing me that?' Then remembered I moved on from it some time ago.

It's quite funny. But I like it because my constant changing has saved me from abusive people.

• I always struggled with comprehension. Plus, my English Teacher from ages 11 to 14 was belittling.

• I reckon I think in a mixture of words and pictures, I definitely see the shape of words. My mind is filled with conversations, lots of words, ideas and voices all jumbling around. It makes my mind very loud and I need to quieten it down sometimes.

I have the perfect job of proofreader/editor. Correcting all word mistakes, hammering writing into a good shape so it makes sense/ entertains people.

I used to think my job was frivolous and pointless...but during the pandemic what have people been doing? Reading, watching movies, turning to the entertainment field to keep them sane!

• Yes, yes and yes!!! Well said Holly and Ruth. I'm sure proofreaders are on the autistic side, probably editors too. The publisher I work for has such strict rules e.g. all right instead of alright, no colons or semi colons etc. They are really fussy with their rules. Although I like that because I'm fussy about writing rules too Joy 

Also I think autistic women have more active imaginations than men, I know a lot of autistic female authors.

• I saw a tweet recently by Holly Smale which was a lightbulb moment for me:

"That’s where all these “missing” autistic women are hiding, isn’t it? 

In words. 

Crack open literature and I guarantee we’ll all come tumbling out."

• when i was a toddler my mother took me out shopping and i pointed up to the signs over the shops and said 'mummy, what kind of numbers are those?'

• This is a fun thread! I'm fascinated by the logic in the arrangement of words and semiotics and how linguistics are used. I just discovered some people actually think in words! I think in pictures/visual or change words into an equation of symbols. Though I do like it when words are made up to create something new and fun. Also, I appreciate Really Good Journalists. I might even disagree but will enjoy the effort and aesthetic. 

• Restricted interests are common in people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). For example, a person might be interested in a specific TV show, math or drawing. People with restricted interests are often experts on the topics or objects they enjoy. Sometimes they share their interests with others.

I don't think it has to be the same interest all the time to qualify.