Is there a type of autistic person interested in words?

The stereotyped autistic person is obsessed with maths, science, technology, but I wondered if there is another type who is obsessed with words, correcting word mistakes, dictionaries, learning new words etc. A Word Nerd.

I am a proud Word Nerd, I have zero interest or skills in maths, science, technology. It is a reason I didn't even consider I was autistic until I was in my 40s/50s- I wasn't a computer geek, so I couldn't be autistic, could I?

What do you think?

Parents
  • This is a fun thread! I'm fascinated by the logic in the arrangement of words and semiotics and how linguistics are used. I just discovered some people actually think in words! I think in pictures/visual or change words into an equation of symbols. Though I do like it when words are made up to create something new and fun. Also, I appreciate Really Good Journalists. I might even disagree but will enjoy the effort and aesthetic. 

• I reckon I think in a mixture of words and pictures, I definitely see the shape of words. My mind is filled with conversations, lots of words, ideas and voices all jumbling around. It makes my mind very loud and I need to quieten it down sometimes.

I have the perfect job of proofreader/editor. Correcting all word mistakes, hammering writing into a good shape so it makes sense/ entertains people.

I used to think my job was frivolous and pointless...but during the pandemic what have people been doing? Reading, watching movies, turning to the entertainment field to keep them sane!

• I reckon I think in a mixture of words and pictures, I definitely see the shape of words. My mind is filled with conversations, lots of words, ideas and voices all jumbling around. It makes my mind very loud and I need to quieten it down sometimes.

I have the perfect job of proofreader/editor. Correcting all word mistakes, hammering writing into a good shape so it makes sense/ entertains people.

I used to think my job was frivolous and pointless...but during the pandemic what have people been doing? Reading, watching movies, turning to the entertainment field to keep them sane!

Children
No Data