What made you realise you have/might have autism?

Hey all, hope this is okay to post.

I’ve recently started to realise I may have autism - I originally thought it was ADHD but when I started looking at the crossover I realise that autism might be playing a role too!

I was just wondering what were the signs that originally made you realise you have/might have autism? Especially if you were diagnosed as an adult rather than as a child.

And a follow on question - looking back what did you do as a child that was likely due to autism? I want to get tested but seeing other peoples experiences I’m worried about the process - my memory is so rubbish I’m worried they’ll think I’m just wasting their time.

Thanks in advance! Yum

Parents
  • childhood: normal I think 

secondary school age: increasing isolation 

adulthood: difficulties socially unless supported by drink 

Before diagnosis  it was a once-off joke: my brother said ‘you take things so literally you must be autistic’.  I was in Cbt and mentioned the humour of my brother’s remark.  The therapist kept coming back to it and suggested I should get screened.  I was certain that the panel had diagnosed me incorrectly as having ASD.  After all even a surgeon might make the wrong diagnosis.  When I questioned a member of the diagnostic team  on how often they misdiagnose NT as autistic they said they wouldn’t know. 
    Actually it explains a lot but my mother resists the diagnosis and defends my behaviour as being normal, despite my terrible teens ….and following.

Being autistic was not my choice but it’s good to know where my people are.

HI GUYS. GLAD TO FIND HOME HERE AND WHEREVER WE ARE, IN SPACE TIME AND IMAGINATION *

oops I’m not meant to have imagination 

• Hi. Your three stages are exactly the same as mine.  Childhood good, "Big school" messed with my head and then in adulthood i turned to drink.  Now sober for 7 years.

• Same as you two. Wish I could go back to childhood. My life hasn't made sense since then.

• Thanks. Sorry I just found your reply because I can't follow this damm forum.

Yes, how could they? I suppose it was 1980s England- stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on.

Absolutely ridiculous. My 'friends' cough cough cough told me to grow up and stop trying to get attention. So I got different friends.

But I was not allowed to talk about my dad for about 10 years in case I upset other people. WTF.

• Thanks. Sorry I just found your reply because I can't follow this damm forum.

Yes, how could they? I suppose it was 1980s England- stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on.

Absolutely ridiculous. My 'friends' cough cough cough told me to grow up and stop trying to get attention. So I got different friends.

But I was not allowed to talk about my dad for about 10 years in case I upset other people. WTF.

Children
No Data