Embarrassing childhood movie crushes

Has anyone had embarrassing crushes on cartoon/movie characters as a child/young teenager?

As a child, I had a massive thing for Jafar from Disney's Aladdin, lol. The Jafar fantasy carried on for quite a while when I was a teenager. My friends take the piss out of me for it, and I don't blame them! I also had a thing for Hades from Hercules. No accounting for taste!

As an older teenager, I developed a vampire obsession, and had a thing for Lestat from 'Queen of the Damned' and Gary Oldman as Dracula... oh dear haha

What are yours?

Anyway I should stop procrastinating on here and get on with my college work...

• haha! They are just being argumentative.

• Everyone says I have a reputation but they don't explain why...  Smiley

• A friend of mine once drew every guy at our table in the pub as a girl. When she came to me she drew this vampy, hit me baby one more time esk, girl; saying, "you'd constantly live in a push up bra because you'd want the entire world around you to be constantly aware that you have breasts." ... in fairness to her she's probably right.

So I have a slightly different outlook on the male gaze. tbh as a guy I kind wish more girls behaved like the girls in the diet coke adverts. You know the ones who like to stare at shirtless window washers.

• I saw Adam Ant in London in about 2011, he was not so sexy by then lol 

• Yeah - the door mechanism is one of their failings - fatigue cracks etc.   The original design was a sort-of jealous attempt to emulate the Bricklin Safety Vehicle - but the initial DeLorean prototype handled so badly they eventually dumped it on Lotus to fix it - and Lotus condemned it - so fitted a modified Esprit chassis instead - at least you wouldn't die at 88mph.  Smiley.

What's strange is that there's a company making brand-new DeLoreans as a continuation of the original production.

• Yes they just look unusual with their gull wing doors or whatever they are. Can't imagine one going 88mph in real life. haha.

• Gracious yes! Who would it be... We don't want your reputation sullied by hanging around with a disreputable wench like me JoyJoy 

• True. But, feminist as I am, at that age I had no notion that the bikinis had anything to do with male gaze. In fact, the notion of 'sexiness' would have been beyond me. If they were in a bikini, that must have been because it was hot or they were going swimming, right? Lol.

They were nevertheless a bit ground breaking as there really weren't too many action women out there.

I would view them a bit differently now.

Adam Ant was a few years later - I'd worked out 'sexy' by then.

• I remember Charlie's Angels - in the first series, the script always seemed to need them to be in skimpy costumes and bikinis - until they complained that they were serious actors - and from series 2 they were more like a Freeman's Catalogue dummies and the 'action' was tamed right down..

• Ant music! He was a sexy young man. You must be from my vintage if you remember the Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angels.

• The best films, you never get the first few times. Some music is the same. You usually get it when your ready though. It takes experience to know something. Some people buy books, music or movies for example and don't know why at the time and years later it clicks. 

For example, I used to think ' The Deer Hunter ' movie was pro-war until I watched it multiple times and decades later I finally got it . It was showing the horrors and stupidity  of war and was much more ant-war than I first thought. 

• Let us now promenade in the orchard, Mr Plastic!

Only if we have a reliable chaperone.  Smiley

• I agree - the typical British acting back then was pretty poor - and very recognisable because of their style.

DeLoreans are really rubbish - basically a Lotus Esprit mixed with an Alpine GTA - two cars renowned for their poor build quality and death-rust in inaccessible places.

I totally agree with you about their fame - with no Back To The Future, no-one would ever want a DeLorean.

• The actors were pretty rubbish though, haha! But we re-watch some of those shows now and the plots are actually quite good.

Oh a Batmobile!

And of course the DeLorean from Back to the Future. Everyone loves that. My husband watches Wheeler Dealers, they restored a DeLorean in one episode. What would have happened to DeLoreans if it wasn't for Back to the Future though? They'd have been obsolete.

• It sounds restrictive but I'd like that. Imagine knowing what to do on every occasion and what to talk about. I think people rebelled against it but we would like it wouldn't we.

Let us now promenade in the orchard, Mr Plastic! lol.

• Yeah! Early 80s when I was an undergrad. He was fab....and as sexy as ever. We were quite near the front.

Quite a disturbing role though. Not an easy watch, that play.

• what a live show !

• Yes indeed.  I liked her too for just those qualities - along with Charlie's Angles who were both glamourous and competent.

• A good actor too. I saw him once in Entertaining Mr Sloan in Manchester.

• yes he attracted many followers (Adam Ant) -- he is a really nice guy in real life. he had a very bad motorcycle accident. He is well known in the biker community especially London.