Commander Data from Star Trek

I noticed that someone on this board recently described themselves as like Commander Data from Star Trek. Very able intellectually but struggles emotionally and socially. It was something like that and I can't remember who wrote it.

But I thought Commander Data was a good metaphor for how I feel and behave- able intellectually but struggles emotionally and socially. Does anyone else feel like that? Data was my favourite character in Star Trek, this must be why!

Parents
  • I liked Data as a character. And I liked the paradoxical nature of him, because on the one hand he supposedly doesn't have emotion, yet he wished to feel emotion, which, could be argued is a sort of emotion in itself. 

• Yes, I can never understand that about androids etc. Why on earth do they want to feel emotions and be human? Surely being an android is far superior and easier.

• Having no emotions would be preferable for me, I think. I quite frankly can't stand having them for the most part. I don't particularly like 'positive' emotions either. They always feel like too much. 

Although I seem to find it hard to know when I have positive emotions in the first place. I know I'm feeling too much but I won't always realise that what I'm feeling originally came from a positive place. This is something I'm only just learning is a possible explanation for me never seeming to report 'positive' emotions. I think they turn into distress for me because they feel like too much. 

• Aha. I found an answer for this, I might post about it. The answer according to psychologist/ psychiatrist (can't remember which) Dr Jonice Webb is several times a day, when you aren't in crisis, ask yourself 'what am I feeling right now? What do I want to do with this feeling?' It's scary at first but keep doing it and it gets easier. My emotions seem less overwhelming now.

• Aha. I found an answer for this, I might post about it. The answer according to psychologist/ psychiatrist (can't remember which) Dr Jonice Webb is several times a day, when you aren't in crisis, ask yourself 'what am I feeling right now? What do I want to do with this feeling?' It's scary at first but keep doing it and it gets easier. My emotions seem less overwhelming now.

Children
No Data