Need advice urgently

Hello, can anyone help me please with what support my 24 year old son can have at work for a meeting? He raised or should I say I helped him with a grievance against him supervisor who treats him badly, she is a bully in my opinion! They’re now acting on this grievance with an investigation which my son has to attend on his own on Thursday morning whilst he’s at work. He is not aloud to have any representation at this stage but he will go into that meeting and not know what they’re talking about!? Can we insist under the disability act 2010 that he should have representation?

Im so worried for him as I think they’re trying to get him out!?

Parents
  • I'm not a lawyer, but I would have hoped so. I would expect representation to be allowed for any employee with a grievance. 

If this is a company of any size, they will have an HR Dept. They should be advising on how this is dealt with, and they should know and play by the Equality Act. 

In theory, if they treat your son differently because of a disability, it will cost the company (though it can be hard to prove a claim, of course). So HR should want to be involved. 

So 1) ask HR, 2) if he is in a union, consult his union representative. 

Good Luck. 

Andrew R 

• I'm not a lawyer, but I would have hoped so. I would expect representation to be allowed for any employee with a grievance. 

If this is a company of any size, they will have an HR Dept. They should be advising on how this is dealt with, and they should know and play by the Equality Act. 

In theory, if they treat your son differently because of a disability, it will cost the company (though it can be hard to prove a claim, of course). So HR should want to be involved. 

So 1) ask HR, 2) if he is in a union, consult his union representative. 

Good Luck. 

Andrew R 

Children
  • Thank you. I have tried to contact the HR department but they’re not answering their phone. My son had a letter to say that the HR department will be taking notes as a company witness.  My son is not in a union but my husband is and he is going to try to find out what he is entitled to. In the letter they say that it is just an investigation and that he does not have a statutory right to be accompanied.