Positive Thinking!

I personally am glad that I got my Autism diagnosis. Because it explains so much about the way I am and I feel that I am finally free to be 'me'. Yes, of course Autism is a disability and we do suffer from negative symptoms. But, there are also positive sides to our Autism, if we care to look for them. 

I'm going to start. One way in which my Autism affects me positively is that it makes me rather partial to putting organisational systems in place to better manage things at home. Such as the food shopping (most current system that I am updating/slightly hyper-focused on at the moment).

So, please tell me an example of how your Autism/Aspergers affects you positively? What are you able to do that you would not be so good at if you were not Autistic? How does your Autism help you?

• i would love one myself

• Aww they are gorgious, so elegant... The best thing is watching them run and they are so gentle, I love um. Thank you.

• No Whippets or Greys? lol

• My house is like forte knox with stair gates everywhere so that I can keep different beings separate when necessary! My husband deals with the dog and because she's old and incontinent she has to stay on the hard floor, so she is shut in the dining room via a stair gate and goes in the garage when we are eating, in the warmer months I leave the patio doors open for her during the day so she has free run of the garden too. The children are usually in the front room, shut in via another stair gate, even if they go down the hallway, there is still another stair gate between them and the dog.

• Did somebody say dogs? lol

• Staffies are so sweet. I bet it's challenging taking care of dogs and children at the same time.

• For me, dogs were a passing interest. I don’t have a favourite breed now but when I used to help out at the animal sanctuary as a child, I used to like the 2 Rottweilers and Doberman’s. Because I always had a weird ability to tame those dogs that had been left at the animal sanctuary for being aggressive, which was the prementioned dogs. We have a dog now, a Staffordshire bull terrier, but she’s my husband’s dog, she’s very old now though and I doubt that we will get another dog once she passes as it’s not really practical while having two young children. 

• Haha, ours are attention seekers too!

• i have one very annoying shih tzu ..... constantly needs attention  .... called Bacon

• Mine can definitely be over-active too Slight smile

I starting learning about dogs when I was really young... maybe 5/6. I memorised all of the breeds in the encyclopedia and I still love reading about them now. I'd love to volunteer at an animal sanctuary, but I'd worry that I'd want to adopt all of them! I used to volunteer at a sanctuary for farm animals and feral cats, so while I loved them, I knew it wasn't practical to take them home Slight smile I don't know if I could genuinely pick a favourite dog, but I desperately want to have an Irish Wolfhound someday - they're huge but so gentle. What's your favourite dog? My parents have two Shih Tzus and I still feel like they're my dogs, although I moved out last year. I'm renting now and not allowed dogs.

Thank you - I hope so too!

• I do know what you mean about imagination, mine is over active to say the least! Though I couldn’t get it from my head onto paper, I can’t write stories! You do well to do creative writing.

That’s interesting that your special interest is dogs. Mine was dogs when I was 10/11, I used to help out at an animal sanctuary every Sunday and did dog walking for them. I knew the name/age/history of every dog there, I used to talk about them to anyone too! What’s your favourite dog? Do you have pet dogs? 

I’m also very loyal, once someone is my friend then I consider them a friend for life and I will defend my friends if anyone speaks badly of them.

I hope you get your diagnosis soon!

• I'm still awaiting diagnosis (it feels like forever), but I do strongly believe that I'm autistic. One positive effect is my imagination - it's very vivid and that's given me a real love of creative writing, reading and music. I also love learning about random things (especially my main special interest, which is dogs) - I enjoy seeing people surprised when I come out with a random fact most people wouldn't know. I'm also a very loyal, trustworthy person; I do my best to be a good friend/partner/family member/citizen, and I have lots of empathy for others, especially since I've experienced some challenges myself.

Whether I'm autistic or not, I just wouldn't be me without these traits. I'm by no means perfect - I know I have my flaws and I can be really annoying sometimes, but I know that I'm an honest person with good intentions, and that's what matters.  

• I will look it up on you tube...Wink

• ‘Really’ wanted to post you some ‘heads will roll’ comedy memes but they’re below the bar of this forum Slight frown 

No worries!

• Well said and thank you and I now know that heads are going to role and its not mine... big smiley face, bring it on I say and thanks for your support. xxxx

• Well if a job has to be done then it has to be done properly right? I’m exactly the same, if I miss one tiny part of a job I will fret about it for days. It’s called being conscientious, it’s a good quality.

I’m also extremely honest, even though it’s not always well received. You stuck by the code, you were transparent, you shouldn’t have been shot down for it! Better to be transparent and trustworthy than dishonest and duplicitous!

• Your photo location skills seem like a very niche skill to have. I’m sure there must be a gap in the market for those skills somewhere. You’ve clearly got a good eye for detail and an ability to do s job thoroughly.