Food: Hypersensitive; Hyposensitive or somewhere in the middle?

I've had several food related discussions recently with a few autistic friends of mine, both on and off the forum and I can't help but be intrigued by how autism affects our taste in food. I have a couple of friends who are very hypersensitive to a lot of different tastes and textures and can only eat very bland tasting food of certain specific consistencies and yet there are other friends and also myself that seem to like lots of strong tastes; spices, etc. Food seems to be important to autistic people in one way or another! So I wondered where everyone else is with food. Do you prefer strong tastes and flavours or do you have a lot of food sensitivities that limit what you can eat? I'd like to know other people's opinions and thoughts on this?

Parents
  • I like most food but there are a few textures I don't like (bananas, smoothies, avocados, scrambled egg are just a few) Growing up all we ate was pasta and peas, sometimes with tuna (we had no money at all) so as soon as I had money of my own I went off and tried every bit of food I could find! I still like trying all sorts of new food. Probably Thai or Eastern Asian food is my favourite. Noodle soup type food or sushi and sashimi. I also suffer from diary intolerance and perhaps a few other intolerances as well but I have no idea how to work out what these are - it's so complicated trying to work out what diet to follow, everyone says their one is the best. I know focusing on fruit/veg and lean meats/fish is healthy, but I still have digestive issues, so there must be some fruit/veg or grains that I should avoid. I'm also hungry all the time. Anyone else have this issue? So it's very easy for me to over eat. Which isn't difficult as I'm quite short and dont need many calories. So I have to do at least an hour of exercise a day or I put on weight (eating less isn't really an option when you can only have 1200 calories before putting on weight)

• I like most food but there are a few textures I don't like (bananas, smoothies, avocados, scrambled egg are just a few) Growing up all we ate was pasta and peas, sometimes with tuna (we had no money at all) so as soon as I had money of my own I went off and tried every bit of food I could find! I still like trying all sorts of new food. Probably Thai or Eastern Asian food is my favourite. Noodle soup type food or sushi and sashimi. I also suffer from diary intolerance and perhaps a few other intolerances as well but I have no idea how to work out what these are - it's so complicated trying to work out what diet to follow, everyone says their one is the best. I know focusing on fruit/veg and lean meats/fish is healthy, but I still have digestive issues, so there must be some fruit/veg or grains that I should avoid. I'm also hungry all the time. Anyone else have this issue? So it's very easy for me to over eat. Which isn't difficult as I'm quite short and dont need many calories. So I have to do at least an hour of exercise a day or I put on weight (eating less isn't really an option when you can only have 1200 calories before putting on weight)

Children
  • I guess it’s good in a way that the lack of variety of food when you were a child has made you very open to trying different foods as an adult. I do believe that you can have food intolerance tests done at your GPs if that’s something that you wanted to pursue? I usually fill up on fruit in between meals to stop myself from getting too hungry. I’m also quite short so would need less calories to gain weight!