What is the function of the NAS?

Just that. Please help me understand better. 

Parents
  • The moderators usually post advice on posts which are a cause for concern i.e. a call for help. They seem to all be holiday or something this week .... 

• No they don't. The moderators usually post when there is a 'revenue stream' (parent) posting asking for help.

If you are #actuallyautistic and an adult you are denied support, representation, RESPECT and ultimately as a cohort our opinions and experiences are reduced to whatever suits their needs.

WE have no voice. NAS are controlled opposition.

• No they don't. The moderators usually post when there is a 'revenue stream' (parent) posting asking for help.

If you are #actuallyautistic and an adult you are denied support, representation, RESPECT and ultimately as a cohort our opinions and experiences are reduced to whatever suits their needs.

WE have no voice. NAS are controlled opposition.

Children
  • And one of the most common ways that adults with ASD get 'spotted' is when they have a child who gets diagnosed... so you'd think there'd be some kind of 'joined up' support if for no other reason than it must be bloody hard to be a parent when you're autistic...

• SobSobSob yeah...true... but children themselves don't bring in money for the NAS, it's their parents that do... the children just get everything for free without having to make any effort... Disappointed

• Adults don't bring in money for the NAS unless they require residential care services.

• I agree. All children eventually become adults, and all adults have once been children. But a strict line is drawn regarding what age people will care for you....

• I would have thought adults can be a useful resource for understanding children. But no. We’re not even valued for that. Yet I get on remarkably well with children on the spectrum. It’s not just me then? None of us lone adults are acknowledged? 

• Yes! I have observed the same. The moderators usually only reply to parents asking for help, they do not reply to actually #autisticadults who are seeking help. It is really unfair how they treat children and adults so differently. And I think it's the adults they actually need more support than children, since children get diagnosed and various forms support at a young age, the adults have been overlooked and ignored for tens of years. Their differential treatment is not bridging the gap, but they are widening the gap.