Could we have a 'Moderator Alert'

This is mainly for the moderators to consider.

Could we have a 'Moderator alert'.  Perhaps as a 'Sticky', perhaps as an easy to find 'button' or something else.

This should be a means of alerting moderators to threats, safety, spamming, or other 'serious' issues.  It would need some thought as to how it would work, but it should also include a facility to private message the moderator with words of explanation as to what the problem is.

The present 'Report as abusive' is not really fit for purpose as it does not really seem to do anything or if it does it takes days to work at times.  I envisage the 'Alert' facility to get a moderator to deal with the situation within two hours if possible, and also to provide information.

There should also be a sticky to explain what is acceptable and what is not.  Yes we have some rules, but these appear to be subject to interpretation and are flouted.  It should perhaps explain unacceptable behaviour such as trolling, spamming, and threats and the consequences.  This might also help prevent public spats on the forums.

• "Coruscations"?

coruscating
    Flashing; sparkling.
    "a coruscating kaleidoscope of colours"
    synonyms:

sparklingshiningbrightbrilliantgleamingglitteringtwinklingscintillating,

flashingshimmeringshimmery; 

rare scintillant
  • Well i have a limited understanding of phisics, I was trying to find a clever way to say "sparks", i do a lot of electronics.

• https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/12772/why-are-the-forums-so-often-offline/75492#75492

...To "photonic_electrons"... in addition to the links I posted at/near to the (current) end of this Thread, this is a link to a more "techincal" answer. The person whom You might want to speak to most of all is to Mr. WEBPM. (You can even "friend" him if you want, I have seen that done!)

(P.S. - I like Your Usename chosen, there. I would like to discuss particle physics... but... now seems to be not a good time...          :-(           and yet.       :-)       at the Username. Sorry I cannot post emojis, my devices are too old.)

• Greetings "Brains"... I was typing a long darn thing below there, and this popped up. When people revive old threads I think it is simply those who know how to use the search box... a lot. It matters not, or is not known to matter, if the original starter is still reading. (Not sure what else to say about that, just now. I do the same myself sometimes.)

• ...Greetings, anyone reading; given the discussions and comments so far I have not much to add which I have not added elsewhere. A main thing I could say, is that when what were nicknamed "Maintenance Threads" were started, they, as said here, would be started by someone with a specific problem... which some others may have had... but not enough persons to keep the Thread 'afloat'/near-to-top. But then what happened recently affected a lot of people, and so this Thread is started and currently afloat...

I can suggest certain things about the Search function, though. It never used to be hidden (top right, three lines, magnifying glass) until the Logo update. If anyone has a particular Thread in mind, then try to recall an exact phrase from that Thread, and use/enter that phrase as a search.

Meantime, here are some links to consider. WebPM is the person to know, here, and there were/are many Users who know about programming... but, well, We are Users and They are the Forum, and so we could only do so much...

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/11521/mods-please-make-the-spam-stop/60581#60581

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/9444/online-community---comments-improvements-and-feedback/

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/11770/problems-with-this-nas-forum---february-2018/62713#62713

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/14616/anyone-else-having-issues-with-the-website/

...This last Link was the last main Thread about it all. (The second link is NAS' own Thread. Long and Very old, now.)

(...A new reply to this thread appears as I type this, so I shall stop now, or else this Post shall disappear. Seriously.)

• know this is about 'rules' and I can't really defend myself for ignoring them, but my mitigating circumstances are that posting a similar thread only becomes annoying if it is done frequently in a short space of time,

I also want to add that I would not wish to deter anyone from posting a sensible post.  If we followed the 'advice not to post if a similar post had occurred, we would have to have all those 'Hi, I'm new here' posts in the same thread and as such it would get overwhelming and welcomes not appear to be personal.  

Also, I don't mind how many times I reply to posts from people who are having the same sort of difficulties at work.  Posts are always unique, however many similarities they have to others.  Trying to 'fit' a post into an older one could also lead to a hijacking of that post with similar but unrelated material, one of the things which I believe should not be encouraged.

And I also don't mind all the 'favourite' music/tv programmes/films/books/poetry posts being duplicated as long as there is a month or so between the different posts and the original post has 'died'.  Such posts tend to get a lot of replies, and after a certain number of replies they simply get overwhelming with all the branches, intertwining threads and new posts. Ultimately, there are probably only a dozen or so topics, so could anyone imagine how unwieldy each of the topics would be .....!

Some members are extremely nervous of posting.  I would rather encourage someone like that to share their experiences and gain confidence rather than putting them off because a similar post has been made before.  Being friendly and helpful are far more important in my opinion than worrying about duplicating posts that others have put on months or years ago.

Ultimately, there are probably only a dozen or so  'real' subjects, so could anyone imagine how unwieldy each of the topics would be if there were no duplication .....!

• uh, looks like this stupid forum software does not warn me someone posted before me while i was typing. i meant i agree with you @Trainspotter

• My feeling is with all the various branches and twigs with old posts, it can get rather a problem to find where something has been posted. One sees the original topic, which may or may not seem relevant to others. And with all the branches various posts seem very difficult for me to find. I am not one who uses facepack, twigger or any forum apart from this one, apart from when I have wanted specific answers on software for example, so this is more difficult for an old chap like me!

• I know this is about 'rules' and I can't really defend myself for ignoring them, but my mitigating circumstances are that posting a similar thread only becomes annoying if it is done frequently in a short space of time, that in the scale of 'crimes,' it is a worth a little prod to remind someone politely (as has been done), and in order to keep this topical to current events. I thetefore request I am treated leniently and the alert button is not pressed. 
  • I agree, you need to balance duplication with dragging up old irrelevant threads. if you want to know something then search and find the answer. But if you want to bring something to attention and discuss the problem as it is now then it's best to start again.

• I do understand what your saying but the moderators split each topic into sections so that it made it easier for them to deal with individual topics.

They actually split the longer threads apart and gave new titles to them. They did say any issue related should only be posted there. Not repeated on a new post. Or new different issues added that weren’t relevant.

Now I understand that isn’t a rule but repeating posts already covered time and time again is taking up space and not always easy to monitor.

No matter how old a post as soon as it is added to it becomes new and relevant. It would also help us see if the mods ever see the report or indeed took any action. Or even considered doing something about it.

My searches have found may such posts within the specific area they should be, many replies from NAS team leaders, not much was offered, some agreed but consequently didn’t bother to come back and say if they had done anything or not?

Adding to an existing topic is essential as it provides great insight as to how much it is an issue and what can or cannot be done about it.

So it stands as a point of reference for all to judge if the action taken is good enough or not even considered.

Just read a few that actually informed about things I didn’t know, for instance one about a report spam button, quite a few joined in to say we need one, but also helped to explain what spam was and how it could actually catch people out by clicking links.

I learnt a great deal a few minutes ago, just reading that.

There are also suggestions relating to just buttons to raise various issues, spam, trolling, rude or offensive posts, contact direct to an administrator,sticky buttons, how to message a mod exists so a button was discounted as a need, 

Just my suggestion like anything. If you want answers then go looking for other posts regarding the specific topic of interest.

A single new post however well intentioned doesn’t really help give much understanding of what the overall impact is or has been in the past. Or indeed if action has ever been considered.

Just my opinion but like yours worthy of noting.

Take care and keep posting. 

• My ideas are merely my thoghts on this, combined with ideas gleaned from others.

We all have ideas about what is unnecessary. My opinion about checkng to see if a question has been asked before is that often it has, but the thread is often very old and sometimes has become somewhat overwhelming, and also unless a search is specific threads  may be missed, so that is something more of counsel of perfection than needs rigidity, although a quick search to see if the topic has been covered fairly recently would prevent the forum being overwhelmed by threads on the same thing in a short period of time.

I also think a clean, specific thread to a recent problem will more likely get attention than trying to adapt an ancient thread. I may be wrong over this but it is only my opinion.  And recent events are why this is important right now rather than in the past. 

• Well by Jove just had a quick look and have not yet seen any results relating to a dedicated button to contact a moderator.

There are many many posts relating to contacting and reporting any issues found and that the moderators would prefer specific topics kept in each section. 

Anyway glad the mods saw this and have replied quickly. In the earlier posts it took weeks sometimes and quite often nothing was ever done.

The odd upgrade but sadly there never seemed to be a great deal of emphasis to listen and actually sort things out. Just put plasters here and there and hope in some way it pacified us.

Well done you seem to have found a unique issue that should be considered.

• Just a quick query Trainspotter,

Although I see why you posted this thread. Well done.

You speak a lot about rules and adhering to them fully. Adding many possible ones you think may help.

how many searches did you do before posting this here?

I am sure the rules state something along the lines that before posting search first to see if you can find answers to your question. There seems to be several on the far right side of my screen.

And although because I am dyslexic my memory is rather lacking. Useless in fact. 

I thought DC as well as many others have raised  these very issues before. There were several posts where any suggestions could be made.

Email notifications, disappearing posts, but to name a few.

Would it not have been better and easier to see if you searched first and added it to an already relevant set of questions?

instead of starting a completely new one whilst there were issues that a moderator should have dealt with immediately not several days later.

There are replies from moderators and administrators within it. May just maybe the answer you wanted would be seen there.

Did you find any answers to your initial question?

Rules after all should be followed as that’s why they exist.

without rules anarchy exists. 

Just seemed a little strange that certain rules are in place but clearly not followed by some. .

thank you for highlighting the need for improvement, it is very much needed, a lot of us spent many hours asking exactly the same sort of questions nite after nite,, we didn’t get many answers just mainly promises that never came true.

• Yes, with the literal understanding and the fact that it can be difficult for some of us to understand the purpose of a forum (a forum isnt a blog, although the odd blog type post is acceptable as long as it stays responsible). So in my opinion it needs spelling out to ensure we all know what is acceptable.

And yes, these guidelines should be an adjunct to the rules, not a replacement for them in my humble opinion. 

• We do tend to love rules...

I was thinking that these were 'as well as' rather than 'instead of' the '10 Commandments' (and in case anyone gets all literal on me, I mean the NAS forum's 10 rules) and pinned somewhere on the page maybe so they were always visible

• Not good enough when people get pedantic about avoiding the unwritten rules, like I said we tried this on my electronics forum and although we only have 3 rules they were to cover the stuff people were saying they did because there was not a rule about that. Many other things are still not set in stone as common sense usually rules or it's dealt with.

• Like i said this forum is like no other I have participated in before because it's custom and probably coded by someone that never used one. The beauty of using off the shelf software is that they all work well, have the bugs and silly things ironed out and all work broadly the same from the users perspective making them easy to use for anyone as once they learn to use a forum they can use any of the few standards that there are.

The lack of lines aroud people posts is disconcerting along with the silly branching of topics it makes it hard to follow everything.

• In fact, on the basis that the most I've ever seen under that link is:

• Report...
    • Edit
    • Delete

I don't see why all those options can't be 'exposed' all the time...

But you know, it's not like I'm a Business Analyst that does this kind of thing for a living...! Laughing

• With regard to the rules I think an Asimov style '3 laws' as a summary of the current '10 commandments' (which look like they're primarily concerned with legal issues of harassment, privacy and liability) might be an idea.

Something like:

1. Think before you post

2. Respect others' opinions and experiences

3. If you are unhappy with/worried by something, alert a moderator via the 'report' button

Also, the 'Report as abusive link' shouldn't be 'hidden' behind the 'More' link - not least because it's the only thing there (when it's not your own post)!

• Ayshe, what does this forum run on? why not use a more capable and easy to use system, for you and us? There is confusion between the main site side of things and the forum as both are mashed together. What sort of hosting does this all run on? it's very slow at times. I am afraid your average shared hosting account is never going to work as you are just one account on a server full of other sites and while most contracts state unlimited storage bla, bla, bla, they forget to point out that server performance will be awful. This is why i run my own VPS (virtual private server) as while I am not assured completly dedicated hardware as I am still sharing the server with other users I am renting a set amount of it so I pay for the amount of processors, RAM ani drive space I want and that portion of the server hardware is dedicated to me and no one else.