Could we have a 'Moderator Alert'

This is mainly for the moderators to consider.

Could we have a 'Moderator alert'.  Perhaps as a 'Sticky', perhaps as an easy to find 'button' or something else.

This should be a means of alerting moderators to threats, safety, spamming, or other 'serious' issues.  It would need some thought as to how it would work, but it should also include a facility to private message the moderator with words of explanation as to what the problem is.

The present 'Report as abusive' is not really fit for purpose as it does not really seem to do anything or if it does it takes days to work at times.  I envisage the 'Alert' facility to get a moderator to deal with the situation within two hours if possible, and also to provide information.

There should also be a sticky to explain what is acceptable and what is not.  Yes we have some rules, but these appear to be subject to interpretation and are flouted.  It should perhaps explain unacceptable behaviour such as trolling, spamming, and threats and the consequences.  This might also help prevent public spats on the forums.

Parents
  • With regard to the rules I think an Asimov style '3 laws' as a summary of the current '10 commandments' (which look like they're primarily concerned with legal issues of harassment, privacy and liability) might be an idea.

Something like:

1. Think before you post

2. Respect others' opinions and experiences

3. If you are unhappy with/worried by something, alert a moderator via the 'report' button

Also, the 'Report as abusive link' shouldn't be 'hidden' behind the 'More' link - not least because it's the only thing there (when it's not your own post)!

• With regard to the rules I think an Asimov style '3 laws' as a summary of the current '10 commandments' (which look like they're primarily concerned with legal issues of harassment, privacy and liability) might be an idea.

Something like:

1. Think before you post

2. Respect others' opinions and experiences

3. If you are unhappy with/worried by something, alert a moderator via the 'report' button

Also, the 'Report as abusive link' shouldn't be 'hidden' behind the 'More' link - not least because it's the only thing there (when it's not your own post)!

Children