What book are you reading now?

I decided that I needed a new book to read and managed to find one on my bookshelf that I’d only half read so thought I’d finish it off: Tower, An epic History of the Tower of London by Nigel Jones. I just wondered what everyone else is reading at the moment? What does everyone else like to read?

Parents
  • Wild signs and star paths by Tristan Gooley. 

It's a book teaching you how to read 'the wild' so to speak. How to use the sky and the stars for direction. And then it goes onto animal behaviours but I have only just started it, so not got to that part yet. 

Before that, I read Big Red, which is a children's book (fiction) about an Irish Setter and a boy. It was the kind of adventure in woods and wilderness that I liked as a kid, though I disagreed with the authors' apparent message which appeared to be 'hunting for sport is fun and good.' but the main characters father was correct in the beginning when he only believed in hunting for practical purposes (food, hunting animals that we become overrun and overpopulated with etc) but then by the end, unfortunately, his father started to come around to the idea of hunting for sport. 

Before that I read a nonfiction book called 'the last wolf' talking about all the myths we have, mostly in Scotland (where the writer is based i think) about who killed the 'last wolf' but it's also a book detailing an argument for why we should reintroduce wolves. I came away from that book thinking he may just have a point. He described wolves poetically as, 'painters of mountains.' He talked about how a mountain in Scotland (i can't remember the geographical whereabouts exactly now or the name of the place) had become bare and it was largely because deer had become sedentary because they had no wolves, their predators. On the surface, this looks like a good thing for deer because they don't have to worry about wolves. But they eat trees and foliage to the bare bone and actually many in the end starve to death. It was an interesting book, the author was Jim Crumley. 

• yea bring back scottish wolves :)

• And England wolves? Or just Scotland? 

• if i was allowed both,, but I would start with Scotland. Then  parts of England.  BTW I'm not in charge otherwise cutting down trees would be met with the death penalty !

Reply Children
No Data