Making a small museum ASD-friendly

I'm the voluntary curator of a local community museum.  We are already dementia-friendly, many people in our small town are learning Makaton and we are becoming more dyslexia-aware as we gradually replace our signage.

I would like to produce a Welcome Guide for schools and parents and need advice from you - the experts-  on what needs to go into it.  There are so many things we cannot change like the fluorescent strip lighting but at least we can warn people of what they can expect on a visit.

Any advice gratefully received - Thank you!

Parents
  • I don't know what exhibits you will have, but I like to touch things (especially if it says 'do not touch'!).

So if possible some exhibits that can be touched without damaging them.  And some things that make one wonder and think what they are used for ... with the purpose hidden (lift up flap, etc).

• We try to be child-friendly so I think that makes us pretty adult-friendly too.  Many of the artefacts are displayed to be picked-up, sniffed, cuddled, played etc. etc.  Obviously, we say no to some of the farm implements but you can still get up-close and personal with them.  And i've taken the needles out of the sewing machines!!

Our more precious or valuable objects are behind glass but we will usually be able to get them out for closer inspection.

We've got a case of 'mystery' items. We don;t know what some of them are.

• We try to be child-friendly so I think that makes us pretty adult-friendly too.  Many of the artefacts are displayed to be picked-up, sniffed, cuddled, played etc. etc.  Obviously, we say no to some of the farm implements but you can still get up-close and personal with them.  And i've taken the needles out of the sewing machines!!

Our more precious or valuable objects are behind glass but we will usually be able to get them out for closer inspection.

We've got a case of 'mystery' items. We don;t know what some of them are.

Children
  • I see what you mean, but I meant 'child-friendly' in the sense that children are allowed to touch and/or play with the artefacts as not everything is behind glass.  We are only a tiny museum and it is very rare to have several people in at one time so I would like to think you would find us suitable for your family.

• We try to be child-friendly so I think that makes us pretty adult-friendly too.

I believe that to be an erroneous assumption.

In my experience, children are very noisy and I have found it impossible to find a quiet place where children are allowed. Noise is probably the major reason why I avoid so many places.