Fast forward/rewinding Tv and dvds

Hi I’m a parent to a 6 year old boy with autism. 

He has started wanting to watch the tv or dvds he has on rewind of fast forward. He loves it, he’s bouncing! Arms are going and the joy is clear but when it stops or you turn it off, hell breaks out! 

Does anyone elses chidlren do this? Is it causing him any harm to watch it like this?  

Parents
  • It's extremely common behaviour.  I work with autistic people and several of them are repeatedly rewinding or fast-forwarding to places in videos, or music tracks, that they like.  One of our lads is pretty high-functioning, but when he gets anxious he listens to the theme tune from a particular Disney film on a repeating loop to bring his anxiety down again.  Sometimes, he plays it for several hours to maintain his calm mood.

I know that when I was younger, I used to drive people crazy by continuously repeating parts of songs that I liked - like a guitar solo.  I'd just stop it and play it over and over, thinking it was perfectly alright to do that.

It isn't harmful.  It's quite a calming thing.  Repetitive behaviours can manifest in many ways.

• It's extremely common behaviour.  I work with autistic people and several of them are repeatedly rewinding or fast-forwarding to places in videos, or music tracks, that they like.  One of our lads is pretty high-functioning, but when he gets anxious he listens to the theme tune from a particular Disney film on a repeating loop to bring his anxiety down again.  Sometimes, he plays it for several hours to maintain his calm mood.

I know that when I was younger, I used to drive people crazy by continuously repeating parts of songs that I liked - like a guitar solo.  I'd just stop it and play it over and over, thinking it was perfectly alright to do that.

It isn't harmful.  It's quite a calming thing.  Repetitive behaviours can manifest in many ways.

Children