Coping with recently diagnosed ASD 5 year old

Hi there our son of 5 was recently diagnosed ASD. He is high functioning. We always knew something wasn’t quite right so this has confirmed our suspicions however knowing he has this condition and will need our support throughout is the hard bit to digest. 

We have a 2 year old and 7 year old and it’s very stressful for all of us as we find our son upsets the dynamics of the family constantly. 

I feel under constant stress having to manage his sensitivity over various things, the screaming and whining that he does when something doesn’t go the way he desired.

It’s just all extremely overwhelming. I’d really like to know how we deal with these outbursts. They are happening daily they are intense when they do happen and we don’t know how to respond. We try to appease him we know he’s very sensitive but it’s hard work and can be really frustrating for all of us.

would appreciate any recommendations for support for us as parents please. 

Many thanks x

Parents
  • Hi NAS38080,

In addition to the advice from community members, you may like to contact our Parent to Parent Service who offer emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism .

You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. Please leave a message and the team will call you back as soon as possible at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. Alternatively you can use contact the team via web form - http://www.autism.org.uk/services/community/family-support/parent-to-parent/enquiry.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

• Nicky-Mod, you might or might not know- how does one volunteer for the parent to parent thing? My mum’s between jobs right now and it sounds right up her street, but I can’t see anything on the vacancies page.

Reply Children