Daydreaming and not knowing when reality or not

Hi,  

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice.  My daughter was diagnosed with ASD at 7 and is now in her first year at secondary.  As yet she has not needed any extra help, other than attending a lunchtime social skills group.  She doesn't often talk about any issues she might be having but tonight she said that she has these horrible feelings when she is at school.  At the end of every lesson when she's leaving the class, she is worried as doesn't know if it is real or not - that the class might not have finished and she's getting up and leaving and everyone will laugh at her.  She is finding this very upsetting and also called it a feeling of 'deja vu', or hallucinating, though maybe she's just finding it hard expressing herself.  She has always been a big daydreamer in class - primary school called it her coping mechanism.  But she's never mentioned anything about not knowing if she is experiencing reality or not.

Has anyone else come across this?  I'm at a loss as to know what to do to help her.

Many many thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Fascinating, I think she is intelligent in trying to make sense of reality.  And asking interesting questions.

I'm sure others have more to say on this subject.

As to what is real or not or are we all in a daydream,  and the feelings of deja vu, very common and difficult to explain rationally.  I used to experience it a lot, it was a phase I was going through.

There are different forms of deja vu.  One is you experience something and immediately think I've done this or been here before.  Yet logically you know it's the first time.  Another similar form is when you're somewhere and immediately think, 'why am I here again? Or why am I doing this again?' then you realise it's not again, it's the first time and you've sort of projected your mind into the near future so it feels like you've done this.  I know I'm bad at describing this.

• Fascinating, I think she is intelligent in trying to make sense of reality.  And asking interesting questions.

I'm sure others have more to say on this subject.

As to what is real or not or are we all in a daydream,  and the feelings of deja vu, very common and difficult to explain rationally.  I used to experience it a lot, it was a phase I was going through.

There are different forms of deja vu.  One is you experience something and immediately think I've done this or been here before.  Yet logically you know it's the first time.  Another similar form is when you're somewhere and immediately think, 'why am I here again? Or why am I doing this again?' then you realise it's not again, it's the first time and you've sort of projected your mind into the near future so it feels like you've done this.  I know I'm bad at describing this.

Children
No Data