Hobbies

Parents
  • My hobbies are things I've pretty much had for life.  Writing (primarily), reading, some kind of creative work (image editing has opened up the world for me!).  I was a runner for over 30 years, but got sick of getting age-related injuries - especially Achilles tendonitis.  I swim and cycle a lot instead now - though I've done both of those for years, too.

I did martial arts for a few years (Bujinkai karate) because I was interested in the spiritual side of the discipline as much as being able to learn how to defend myself.  I applied myself rigorously, reaching blue belt (7th kyu - three below 1st Dan black belt), but I never really had a natural aptitude for it.  Kata (learning a routine sequence of moves for each grade) is integral to the practice, and I used to love practicing kata because it is practiced alone, in one's own space, and is about the individual learning mastery over his or her body.  I was less keen on sparring.  Despite what I'd learned, my technique always fell apart during sparring.  I simply couldn't co-ordinate, or anticipate what was coming at me in order to counter it.  Maybe a body language issue.  I also couldn't maintain eye contact with my sparring partner, which is also not good.  In the end, I gave up following my blue belt grading because it was so physically gruelling.  I don't mean the exercise itself, but the fact that I picked up some severe body bruising and a couple of cracked ribs which left me in agony for days.  Unfortunately, with any martial art, you get an element that's more in it for the macho thing.  Some of the black belts clearly enjoyed being able to show off their skills in aggressive combat.  They loved the blood and bruises.  They often used to walk home from the dojo afterwards still wearing their gis, just posing.  But this isn't really in the true spirit of the discipline.  It probably varies from one group to another.  If you go into it for the right reasons, and with a Cain-like degree of open-mindedness and humility, you'll probably find it hugely rewarding.  It's certainly a great way to develop spiritually (if you're that way inclined) and physically.  It pushes you to all of your limits.

• My hobbies are things I've pretty much had for life.  Writing (primarily), reading, some kind of creative work (image editing has opened up the world for me!).  I was a runner for over 30 years, but got sick of getting age-related injuries - especially Achilles tendonitis.  I swim and cycle a lot instead now - though I've done both of those for years, too.

I did martial arts for a few years (Bujinkai karate) because I was interested in the spiritual side of the discipline as much as being able to learn how to defend myself.  I applied myself rigorously, reaching blue belt (7th kyu - three below 1st Dan black belt), but I never really had a natural aptitude for it.  Kata (learning a routine sequence of moves for each grade) is integral to the practice, and I used to love practicing kata because it is practiced alone, in one's own space, and is about the individual learning mastery over his or her body.  I was less keen on sparring.  Despite what I'd learned, my technique always fell apart during sparring.  I simply couldn't co-ordinate, or anticipate what was coming at me in order to counter it.  Maybe a body language issue.  I also couldn't maintain eye contact with my sparring partner, which is also not good.  In the end, I gave up following my blue belt grading because it was so physically gruelling.  I don't mean the exercise itself, but the fact that I picked up some severe body bruising and a couple of cracked ribs which left me in agony for days.  Unfortunately, with any martial art, you get an element that's more in it for the macho thing.  Some of the black belts clearly enjoyed being able to show off their skills in aggressive combat.  They loved the blood and bruises.  They often used to walk home from the dojo afterwards still wearing their gis, just posing.  But this isn't really in the true spirit of the discipline.  It probably varies from one group to another.  If you go into it for the right reasons, and with a Cain-like degree of open-mindedness and humility, you'll probably find it hugely rewarding.  It's certainly a great way to develop spiritually (if you're that way inclined) and physically.  It pushes you to all of your limits.

Children