Sound sensitivity

Hi everyone, 

I am a late-diagnosed autistic person and have noticed my sensitivity to noise fluctuates. The other day I found myself having to put in the loop ear plugs at home because the sound of my family talking became suddenly upsetting. Does that happen to you? Do you see your sensory sensitivities fluctuate?

Thank you!

Parents
  • Do you see your sensory sensitivities fluctuate?

Yes - I think it is common when we are feeling run down or stressed that our sensitivities become more "tender" and have more impact on us.

It is helpful to be able to monitor your state so you can develop coping techniques for it - typically being able to make space to recharge yourself through things like special interests.

It isn't always easy to make the time for this but when you can't take time out then it is also good to communicate your status to those close to you who hopefully know enough to make accommodations to be less of a stress on you.

• Do you see your sensory sensitivities fluctuate?

Yes - I think it is common when we are feeling run down or stressed that our sensitivities become more "tender" and have more impact on us.

It is helpful to be able to monitor your state so you can develop coping techniques for it - typically being able to make space to recharge yourself through things like special interests.

It isn't always easy to make the time for this but when you can't take time out then it is also good to communicate your status to those close to you who hopefully know enough to make accommodations to be less of a stress on you.

Children
No Data