Medication for anxiety in teens

My daughter 14 has been under camhs for 2.5yrs. When first referred she had developed a phobia of eating,, due to a choking incident. We did lots of cbt/exposure therapy. She was diagnosed with arfid and after looking at her as a whole and how she responded to the sessions, which wasn't well ans progress was painfully slow, she was referred ans diagnosed with Autism.

Her eating is now manageable at her usual restrictive level and her weight is stable. She suffers so badly with anxiety, she wants to do social things,, but just can't. Our recent camhs sessions have been to face her fears slowly, that's not gone well at all, she now refuses to engage with camhs at all and just has a meltdown. So next appointment is a review and medication was going to be suggested at this appointment if she hadn't progressed.

I want her to be able to enjoy her childhood without anxiety crippling her, so I'm at the point I think we need to try, but my daughter refuses to take any medication because anything unknown /new triggers anxiety, but the meds might help the anxiety.. So how do you deal with this? Also have people seen benefits with medication in teens? 

• That's so sad, its such a battle to get what they need. Fingers crossed you get somewhere soon. 

• That must be very very hard for you. I think my son would have refused medication about 6 months ago but not now. He is desperate not to feel like this any more. I have told CAMHS on the phone that sometimes he says he doesn't want to live anymore. They said just call 999 if that's really the case. They have been profoundly unhelpful all through his life. I wish they could hear him screaming for help now. I honestly don't think he would have reached this state if they had been more helpful in the past.

• I've refused to be discharged from Camhs, they tried after her eating improved slightly but her bmi was still only 13.5, although she's upto 15 now, so alot mord stable. It may be that he's done enough work with camhs to say they've covered what they need to? I have a friend who's child has been on fluxoetine since she was 9 and she feels it saved her, she suffers with contamination ocd. My niece at 17 was on Setraline, although it didn't work for her and she moved on to quetipine. So I know their are options for children. My daughters understanding is pretty low though, she is so so fussy. If your son is able to make an informed decision, you would think it perhaps would be more straightforward, for us it's going to be another battle ans her current psychiatrist has just left this week too, so a new one may have a completely different view point, but I need to feel prepared.

I've been discussing with my daughter that treating mental health is just as important as a physical illness, we wouldn't leave diabetes untreated and we also won't leave her mental health untreated. Her method is avoidance of everything, just stay in the safety of your room and avoid anything that makes you anxious! 

• My son wants medication! He is desperate. His dad takes Fluoxetine (Prozac) for depression and calls them his "happy pills". I have taken Citalopram for mild depression and anxiety. So we have both been able to talk to our son about the pros and cons of medication. He really really wants them now. He is in a bad state, currently screaming as I type this...

We have been through, and been discharged from, the whole CAMHS system so many times. My son "refuses to engage" with them. Our local CAMHS is a joke to be honest. They just make him feel far worse. I am hoping we can get a prescription without having to go through all that again. But now you've mentioned the NICE Guidelines I'm wondering if we can. Feel like I've been going round in circles for years now, whilst my son's mental health deteriorates bit by bit. :-(

• If I am honest I don't have a clue, nothing has specifically been mentioned. All I know is that they had to do a set number of sessions doing specific work under the 'nice guidelines' before they could prescribe, we've now done these sessions, she hasn't progressed at all, in fact the last hour session was cut short after 15 min because she got that upset. So I'm preparing myself that this is probably where we are heading now, I was very reluctant at the first suggestion, but she needs a life and if it helps just a teeny bit it's worth it, especially as she begins gcses in Sept and I think this will heighten everything further.

Would your child willingly take medication? When I mention it she says.. Noone is drugging me! She just doesn't get it and sees medicine as poison no matter what it is, she can be crippled with period pains and resist calpol, tablets are also impossible and lead to a complete panic. 

• Hi Susana, do you know what medication CAMHS are thinking of prescribing for your daughter?

I am watching this thread with interest because I am having similar issues with my 15 year old son. He has depression and his anxiety is through the roof  - he is having frequent panic attacks, several in a day, and is regularly throwing up (he feels that if he is sick then he can get the anxiety out). I have been asking our GP about medication (eg. a mild anti-depressant for anxiety/panic attacks) but she is reluctant to prescribe anything. I now have our child psych. on the case and he will write to our GP, recommending that they look at medication.

I would be interested in hearing about the experiences of other parents of teenagers with high anxiety. What medication has your teen tried and has it worked? Personally I take 10mg Citalopram myself, for anxiety and mild depression. I'm thinking it would really suit my son but I am not a doctor!

Thanks.

• I deal with it using a daily meditation of 30 minutes

I started with guided meditation from Youtube for first 6 months every day and going to sleep.

then moved to sitting meditation with a mix of thought labelling and breath counting techniques

My anxiety has declined considerably

everything on meditation is free and online. 

• I've come to realise that I can't accomplish some things on my own even with meds and exposure - so I look for special help and services that will support me - it suits me better than trying to be normal but being filled with anxiety.  I pretty much have to take meds though due to having schizoaffective disorder.

• I find Diazepam helps with my anxiety. But it's something you should look into to see if you want your daughter to have that.