Unusual Phobias

I wanted to share a couple of unusual phobias I have. I suppose I should start by recognising that they may not actually be phobias. I'm using phobias for lack of a better word to describe them. The definition of phobia is an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something. While my responses to these things are extreme (by some people's standards), they could be viewed as rational inasmuch as they stem directly from traumatic experiences. If anyone has a better word to describe them, please let me know.

I don't know if it's because of autism that I have these aversions, or because of mental damage that's been caused by past traumas.

The first is people with gaps in their front teeth. Now,  many people have gaps in their teeth, but this is quite a specific gap. It's called a diastema and it occurs when the upper lateral incisors are missing, and a gap develops between the two front teeth.

I can't interact with people with a diastema. I know it's because of someone from my past, but it has now taken on a whole dimension for me where I mistrust (and fear) people with this characteristic. I instantly associate these people being extremely selfish, power-hungry, and/or immoral.

The second one is to do with wearing glasses. Anyone who wears glasses like these...

...makes me think they are evil, sick or perverted in some way. In some instances, it is true.

This guy has both!

Am I crazy? Does anyone else have specific or unusual phobias? 

• I have a phobia of sleeping. It's called Somniphobia, which is fear of sleeping. As it gets closer and closer to when I go to sleep I start to get the feeling of anxiety creep in and then I try hard not to sleep, resulting in severe tiredness.

• Whikst it's maybe not a full on phobia its gettiing that way, but photographs, I absolutely hate them, I can cope with some landscapes but I hate photos of me and of some other people too, I can understand why some peoples have thought their souls have been stolen. But to me photos have something essential missing, I've seen photos of myself from when I was a teenager and had to ask my Mum who the girl in the photo is, I didn't recognise her at all.

• Spiders terrify me as well. If I see one in my room I have to get it out of there or I'll be too scared to sleep.

• I think mine are fairly normal, spiders, crane flies, clowns, dolls, masks and puppets

• i dont really fear anything.

but i am wary of things that i identify as threats.
    when im walking, the main threats are cyclists and dog walkers.

because cyclists are ignorant and cycle up fast behind you silently and ram into you and nearly kill you without warning because they cant slow down or stop and would crash into a brick wall if a brick wall was in their path because they are stupid and dont ever stop for anything.

and dog walkers because everywhere everyone has a dog and these days people have no control over them and it attacks you. i actually got bit and needed a tetanus jab because thats absolute truth. so other day some dog walker had his dog off the lead and it went from him and squared off with me barking at me threateningly, i shouted for him to put it on lead but he was insistant it was safe and wont bite and refused  to control his dog  or put it on lead. the  first guy likely thought his dog wouldnt bite too but it did. people are idiots today in society. irresponsible. 

• I have a phobia of the sun lol. It's true though. I might be the closest thing to a vampire but minus the drinking blood. I really am scared of the sun, why, I don't know but I am. I try to avoid it at all costs and try to go out when it's cloudy or dark enough. When I do go out I keep my face and skin well covered. My GP said it's an unnatural phobia likely linked with my hyper sensitivity.

• Absolutely! It's fascinating how the spectrum of phobias can vary, especially among individuals with ASC. It really highlights the diversity of human experiences and perceptions.

• I have what I consider to be two unusual phobias.

1) The exterior of most cathedrals and many churches makes me freak out. I'm attending a family wedding later this year and had to google images of the church where the couple are due to be married, to ensure that I would be OK with it. I think this phobia is triggered by the architecture.

2) The sight of electricity pylons causes me to freak out. The same with TV/Radio masts, and to a lesser extent with mobile phone masts on top of buildings.

• Hate that too and pots and pans in a drawer I hate when someone just takes one out from the bottom and all the others just fall down on each other it sounds like an explosion to me 

• stirring cups noisily makes my skin crawl and serving food when they tap the spoon on a plate or sort of flick the spoon a bit . 

• The other problem is when you bend down to pick something up they fall out of pocket and hang .

• Chin Up, Lad! You've got jobs to do! 

• Thanks - I'm just soooooo tired.        I think it's back to bed time...  Smiley

• Bless you. It's awful. I just wish sometimes there was an off switch for all this.  Flick a switch and be aware of nothing.  Flick it back on once safely home.  Hope you feel better tomorrow.

• Words are massive with my medical phobias. There are certain parts of the body, which are huge triggers for me.

Yes - me too

Spent a few hours in hospital yesterday for a scan - but they were running a bit late but the needle people were on time so there was a lot of mucking around with getting things ready.

The last time the driver pump sounded like it was injecting air bubbles - total freak out/melt-down.

I stimmed for so long yesterday that I was totally knackered   My jiggling legs make me feel like I've run a marathon - over an hour constantly going and also pulling my hair, my arm feels like lead.

Going to be a slow day today - just can't get it together.

• Lol! Anything with measurements and numbers and my brain  can't compute. 

• Our nails are made from keratin like our hair rather than bone. Teeth aren't bone either. But yea maybe it's a thing about things that look like bone? 

• There's a wonderful book - Roger's Profanathaurus - by Roger Melly, The Man On The Telly (from Viz) - a must read!   Smiley

• There're a few graphic euphemisms I haven't encountered before and really must note and steel, lol.

Thank you, Mr Plastic.