Procedure for self referral

I live in Essex and have found a place where you can refer yourself for a diagnosis for autism and aspergers. What are anyone else's experiences of self referral? what was the procedure and how long did it take? Where there any costs involved? Im 51 and have just been inspired to try this having watched the Chris Packham documentary. I have been unemployed for about 25 years and now the only job I have found is dishwashing although I have got a degree and am musical and artistic . 

Parents
  • Privately, I imagine it would be very expensive, what I and others have done is not far off of self-referral.  After much research and doing all the online tests (AQ, Aspie Quiz etc.)  I wrote a couple of brief sides of A4 of examples from my life that fitted the diagnostic criteria and went to my GP and asked to be referred and she agreed the second time.  You can also print out the results of the screening tests and take them along, some evidence and determination and a nice Dr are 'all' that is required if you are lucky.  And then you get to wait and wait.... 

• Privately, I imagine it would be very expensive, what I and others have done is not far off of self-referral.  After much research and doing all the online tests (AQ, Aspie Quiz etc.)  I wrote a couple of brief sides of A4 of examples from my life that fitted the diagnostic criteria and went to my GP and asked to be referred and she agreed the second time.  You can also print out the results of the screening tests and take them along, some evidence and determination and a nice Dr are 'all' that is required if you are lucky.  And then you get to wait and wait.... 

Children
  • i see .  I am making a start with an online test , and a GP appointment for an initial discussion. Was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder in 2002 and PTSD in 2016. The latter I believe is accurate but the schizoaffective I think is irrelevant now. I had had a breakdown, and a psychotic episode,  but I have never been readmitted to hospital and I came off all meds years ago, did you get yours?