PLEASE TELL I AM NOT CRAZY. . . . . . . SURELY TO GOODNESS, I CANNOT BE THE ONLY ONE, . . . CAN I.??

What I am about to talk about is not a joke, I have not been taking any drugs, neither am I under the influence of alcohol. I think I am either very brave? or extremely stupid?? we shall see!! 

It is to do with how we (Me in particular) see things and what we can see. (With my eyes opened or closed, it makes no difference, I can also 'sense or feel' if you will 'somethings'

I am not claiming to be a Temple Grandin, or Rain-man (But I am sure you can guess what my Nickname was growing up."Raymond" that is an interesting life fact I think)  Back on the track, there is no easy way to say this.

I can see, like an X-ray into my partners body. Also I can see where the pain is in her body, including how deep it is. (This is great for her as she has fibro-myalga  I have never really told anyone before about this, (Cos it is kinda scary. And is not 'this will help you fit-in, material') So I am going to put this here, and also on my Facebook page. If anyone want's or need's to private message me about it, feel free to do so, know that I understand why you would feel the need to do that. I think the source of this ability is HFA-Autism, hopefully this will encourage anyone who is like me, to come forward. I guess what I am asking is 'What should I do with it?' There is a massive knowledge bank here on this site, I really need answers. I have put it out there now. Thought's anyone?? For the record I am nod delusional . . . . I eagerly await your replies, thanks from the depths of my soul. Hendrow aka 'Rain-man' 

• WRITER’S BLOCK

Perhaps only other writers can understand the panic that takes hold then.  You go to your desk, you sit for two hours, six hours… and nothing.  A week, a month… nothing.  You try to trick your demons, perhaps by going to the movies instead of to work, and casually, after a double feature or two, you slide in behind your typewriter at the end of the day when there’s absolutely no time to write anyway, so all the pressure is off.

… nothing.

You read what other writers have done to win their similar battle.

Doesn’t work for you.

Nothing works for you.

And then you enter into despair.  Because drying up permanently just may be the ultimate nightmare if what you do for a living is battle empty pages.  For almost without exception, this happens to every writer.  Few of us drop in our traces.  Mostly, our energy goes; we fiddle awhile, try this, that, and then it’s over, and how do you fill the rest of your days?

…in a very real sense, the end of creativity is for a writer not unlike Alzheimer’s disease:  You don’t know for sure it’s going to happen, but you know it’s there.  Waiting.

William Goldman:  Adventures in the Screen Trade

Hope it clears up for you soon, DT.

• i don't know about reincarnation, perhaps it does exist. I do believe in a spirit and life after death, as had one or two weird experiences after burying my then husband's grandad!!!

• Hendrow said:
    I can explain how the whole physic' thing works, I have left you my email. I don't want to explain it here in detail. For the record there is no re-incarnation either,

According to this statement; you appear to be refuting both psychic phenomena and re-incarnation without any explanation for the record either way. Is this in part a mistake or is it wholly by design?     

• My list is endless,my past is littered with bag fulls of inexplicable occurrences KillerQueen1971, I can explain how the whole physic' thing works, I have left you my email. I don't want to explain it here in detail. For the record there is no re-incarnation either,

Regards,

Hendrow,

Driven by Logic, Evidence and Reason.

• I've had some things I'm not quite sure how to explain. I know one family holiday my Dad was driving to Norfolk, and he said he was lost I piped up "I know the way" so I directed him, tho I couldn't possibly know the way as a kid, who hadn't been there before, was it just pure guesswork and I happened to be right, or is there such a thing as reincarnation, and I know the area from a previous life. My then husband a paraplegic with MS said "Shall we see our neighbour"  , I said "I've a bad feeling about this. Tho he got his way , sometime later the police were knocking on the door re some missing money, apparently he reached into her handbag on the floor opened her purse and took some money , whilst I went and made a phone call to distract her, tho I was there when the phone rang. If I'm going to commit a crime or be an accomplice to one I'm hardly going to use my own phone, and I would really had have to sprint faster than Usain Bolt to the nearest payphone.  I think either she was mistaken about money going missing , or it was her son.
    I know sometimes I've had a dream and then woken up to find the event has come to pass. I was offered a kitten a number of years ago tho that one fell through, tho shortly after that my cat came in through my window and didn't leave!!! I'd be interested in discussing this some more , just I'm interested in physic abilities!!!

• Hendrow said:
    Deepthought, I do not buy into that writers block theory, my question to you is what is blocked and by what is it blocked?

My ability to communicate fully is restricted; due to exhaustion, tissue-salt depletion and dehydration.

• DT, I kind of had this crazy idea that 50% of HFA'ers maybe had my type of 'gifting' and that would mean that of them, at least one would 'come out' as the 'fear is near' 

We would talk on here, then email, then text, then phone, and maybe eventually meet up in the 'real world'

I presume that Bab's is not on this site. I believe also it is very early days in my quest.

Thanks, for your suggestion though.

• Deepthought, I do not buy into that writers block theory, my question to you is what is blocked and by what is it blocked?

• Hi Hendrow,

I have major writers block on the go currently, but I have similar sensibilities, and would suggest getting a book titled. 'Hands Of Light, A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field', by Barbara Ann Brennan.

• LOOKS LIKE I AM THE ONLY ONE . . . . . . . . . . Hold  on, who is that I spy in the distance?

• By the way you would not of got such a reaction if you had PM'd me or emailed me Tom, (Let the records show.) Before you say it 'I know, really I do'  Stuck out tongue

• We all have to do, what we do, Tom.Trust me, I really do understand, no worries this side of the room. ~  Hendrow then sulks and slips slowly back into his dark corner, cursing himself again, for putting his head into the light. "Ahhgh he groaned Tom, burn. . .Tom ouch!" in a 'E.T-ish kind of way. In that cold darkness his face began to cool, he closed his eyes and bowed his head. Recalling the episode again, like a bad dream, that you are trying to wash out of your consciousness, his fears began to subside, dissipating like a fart in a restaurant. See I told you, I say it again Mr Tom Martian, you are an inspiration to me, and what I love about it is you don't know how, so you can't stop it. Much respect, Hendrow.

• Sorry, mate.  It's not what I do.  I keep everything strictly on the forums.  Hope you understand.

Tom

•  I keep eating McDonald's I have IBS-Which doesn't like the Mac 'food' probably because it is not natural food, I comfort eat with it, then I pay the price for days after, Peanuts too (I love them) Oh yes don't forget a couple of bars of chocolate, hence the 'fat boy' self-deprecating' reference else where, on this site.

I would love to talk to you more about your writing Tom, you have my email, (hint hint - lol). I think I am a wordsmith with some novel idea's, who thinks he is funny, but hate's to fail, so can lack confidence and so needs support sometime's laced with a generous helping of old fashioned encouragement. Tom?

• I know what you mean.  Without being flippant - I liken it a little to my relationship with alcohol.  I have a bit of a binge and go to bed feeling high - but then, next day, I feel terrible.  All day long.  And I think 'Why do I keep doing this?  Just remember how this feels and let it put you off doing it again.'  But then, a few days later, I go back to it. 

There's a saying that the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time.   I'm not sure I always expect a different result - with anything I do repetitively.  And that should be enough to tell me "Move on!"  But I don't.  I had a novel I was writing about 12 years ago.  It came to nothing.  But I liked the way it started, so I kept going back to it thinking "I'll change it at so-and-so and see where it goes this time."  But each time, it wound up at the same place.  I must have rewritten those first chapters perhaps 30 or 40 times over the years, and never managed to get anywhere with it.  I tried rethinking it in all sorts of ways, but to no avail.  I think I may finally have let it go because I haven't done anything with it for about a year now.  I really liked the characters and situations, and got some good stories rolling with it.  But it simply wasn't meant to be a novel.  I may go back to it at some stage and try just doing it as a lot of interconnected stories.  We'll see.  It's not exactly an obsessive behaviour - but it is obsessive behaviour, if you see what I mean.

No... I never seem to learn!

• I don't seem, to learn from the obsessive behaviours and how they work, how much they cost me every time, I never seem to learn.  

• Thanks, Lone Warrior.

• Thanks Tom, for now, my response is . . . . " l e t t e r s m a k e w o r d s "

• Hendrow said:
    I have never fit in, it make me fit in even less. So I must be trying to fit in, at least a tiny little bit. Am I going to regret posting that on FB and on here? I don''t know.

Hi Hendrow,

I'm not sure if you are trying to fit in, are you?  You're just stating something openly about an ability that you have.  I don't think it makes you crazy or weird.  Many people, whether on the spectrum or not, have remarkable abilities.  Mediums, for instance.  So-called 'sensitives'.  Ordinary enough people.  I'm sure a fair few are charlatans - but I've had experiences with these people when they tell me quite detailed things about myself, and things on my mind, and things I do, and things I possess, which no one could possibly have known.

The thing about the spectrum is that it covers such a huge area of ability, from people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, to high-functioners, to savants (like the Rainman character).  Look at Stephen Wiltshire - able to fly over a city once, then draw it in almost perfect detail.  People with eidetic memory, who can read through a book and remember every page.  Human 'super-computers' who can solve complex equations in seconds.

Then there are people like me.  I don't think I have any very special abilities - though I have a facility with words, and with a certain way of looking at something and seeing a connection with something else seemingly random.  A creative ability, sure.  I notice patterns in things - which leads to noticing resemblances.  On the bus the other day, we passed a field where the straw had been harvested and the bales had been left in tall towers ready for collection.  The field was just hard scrabble now - stubble and earth - randomly dotted with these towers.  Perhaps many people would have seen the same thing and made the comparison, but I straight away saw an apolcalyptic landscape with just these random tower blocks of flats dotted across it.  I came home and made the picture I saw.  I'll see a small thing like a flower growing through a crack in concrete, or an old shoe on the beach, and it'll trigger off something in my head that makes connections... which eventually leads to a poem or story.  Like I said, I'm not sure if this is an 'autistic' thing necessarily.  But when I explain this process to other people, they seem astonished.  'I just saw an old shoe on the beach,' they'll say.

I have never fit in, either.  Never.  Perhaps in peer groups - mental health, substance misuse, autism, forums like this.  Out there?  Never.  I've put on an act, sure - we probably all do.  I've copied behaviours.  I've learned what to do and what not to do in social situations (thankfully, few and far between).  But I've always - right from about the age of 8, I would say - felt 'odd' in comparison to others.  Like I've been dropped in a foreign country, whose language, culture, customs and moral code I don't understand.  It used to really bother me.  Probably in my 40s, I came to more acceptance of it.  It wasn't me - it was everyone else!  Now, since my diagnosis, I revel in that uniqueness - even though I don't think of myself as being particularly special in any way.  Creative, yes.  Reclusive, yes.  I do things and think things that might get me some odd looks.  But I'm happy to tell people I'm on the spectrum - as I'd be happy to tell people I was gay, if that was the case.  I'm 'proud', if you like, of the person I am.  And I realise that I'm lucky in that I don't suffer the severe debility with my condition that many people, even high-functioners like Ros Blackburn do.

Like many on the spectrum, too, one of my things is over-analysis.  I'll analyse something to death - look at every detail, why and wherefore, pro and con, until it almost drives me to despair.  I can't help it.  It's how I've always been.  I'll think myself into something and out of it again a dozen times.  People might call it 'dithering' or 'indecisiveness' - but it's very important to me.  I have to be totally certain about something. 

Maybe that's what you're doing.  Over-analysing it all.  Instead of accepting that you have an ability, it worries you in case it's a sign that there's something wrong with you.  And then you worry about worrying about that!  Does that sound about right?  Forgive me if I'm jumping the gun.  Just a thought.

Keep on keeping on, as they say. Slight smile

Tom

• Do others have such 'gifts' or do they know of any other Autistic's that do?. . . . . . . .  It wasn't easy to come out like that Tom. I have never fit in, it make's me fit in even less. So I must be trying to fit in, at least a tiny little bit. Am I going to regret posting that on FB and on here? I don''t know.