Going private to avoid long wait times

Hi there, 

I’m new here and was looking for some advice. We are currently going through some stages with our daughter and have been referred to CAMHS. the wait time to be seen is extremely long and was seeing if anyone has gone down the private route and their advice? 
thank you in advance

Parents
  • It's highly unlikely that a private diagnosis of a child will be recognised by the local services, i.e. council and medical, which would limit the amount of support you are able to get. I know this from both a parental aspect, as my son has recently been diagnosed this year, and also from a professional perspective having worked in special schools for a number of years and having been involved with the EHCP process. As part of both it's been discussed a number of times, and unfortunately the answer has always been that private child diagnosis is just not as accepted as adult ones.

That being said, there's nothing stopping you getting a paid for private diagnosis whilst you go through the process for an NHS one, it may help in some cases until the "official" diagnosis is given.

• It's highly unlikely that a private diagnosis of a child will be recognised by the local services, i.e. council and medical, which would limit the amount of support you are able to get. I know this from both a parental aspect, as my son has recently been diagnosed this year, and also from a professional perspective having worked in special schools for a number of years and having been involved with the EHCP process. As part of both it's been discussed a number of times, and unfortunately the answer has always been that private child diagnosis is just not as accepted as adult ones.

That being said, there's nothing stopping you getting a paid for private diagnosis whilst you go through the process for an NHS one, it may help in some cases until the "official" diagnosis is given.

Children
No Data