PIP refusal

Hi I was just wondering how other autistic adults have found the PIP experience? Has anyone been successful in getting PIP? How did you explain your struggles? I got my decision today and they said I don’t qualify. Any help would be appreciated thank you 

Parents
  • I have had various levels of PIP awards over quite a number of years when my diagnoses have been purely mental health related ones - severe anxiety and depression and some related comorbidities, and nervous breakdown.

Just recently it was brought to my attention that I could be autistic (I have no doubt that I am) and going back over my medical history I realised that autism as an umbrella term covered or explained many if not most of my "issues" as well as many lifelong traits and behaviours.

In my most recent application for PIP, filled in nearly 2 years ago before any ASD diagnosis, I received the basic award, but my mental health is currently very poor, so I went for mandatory reconsideration and gained 2 more points, but I still felt wrongly assessed, so now I am awaiting a Tribunal. (My anxiety has skyrocketed) 

The thing that is important is to make it clear how your life is impacted rather than any diagnosis. How often can you do something, how safely, how reliably etc. Can you do it only for less than half the time - that is for <50% of the year?

The person doing the assessment probably has no idea about autism so focus on the symptoms. Even my Mental Health Nurse and Psychiatrist admit to not fully understanding the implications of being autistic so the likelihood of a physical health nurse, or an occupational therapist, on the end of a phone, understanding is extremely unlikely.

Incidentally, I have kept paperwork relating to previous PIP awards. Consistently, they remark on my inability to make eye contact, and my fidgeting. (One of my stims is stroking textured fabric or my dog) Autistic pointers being observed but no one would look for autism in a middle-aged woman back then.

Anyway, just to underline, focus on how your life is impacted, your symptoms. The diagnosis is more or less irrelevant. Supporting evidence can come from friends and family as well as professionals.

• I have had various levels of PIP awards over quite a number of years when my diagnoses have been purely mental health related ones - severe anxiety and depression and some related comorbidities, and nervous breakdown.

Just recently it was brought to my attention that I could be autistic (I have no doubt that I am) and going back over my medical history I realised that autism as an umbrella term covered or explained many if not most of my "issues" as well as many lifelong traits and behaviours.

In my most recent application for PIP, filled in nearly 2 years ago before any ASD diagnosis, I received the basic award, but my mental health is currently very poor, so I went for mandatory reconsideration and gained 2 more points, but I still felt wrongly assessed, so now I am awaiting a Tribunal. (My anxiety has skyrocketed) 

The thing that is important is to make it clear how your life is impacted rather than any diagnosis. How often can you do something, how safely, how reliably etc. Can you do it only for less than half the time - that is for <50% of the year?

The person doing the assessment probably has no idea about autism so focus on the symptoms. Even my Mental Health Nurse and Psychiatrist admit to not fully understanding the implications of being autistic so the likelihood of a physical health nurse, or an occupational therapist, on the end of a phone, understanding is extremely unlikely.

Incidentally, I have kept paperwork relating to previous PIP awards. Consistently, they remark on my inability to make eye contact, and my fidgeting. (One of my stims is stroking textured fabric or my dog) Autistic pointers being observed but no one would look for autism in a middle-aged woman back then.

Anyway, just to underline, focus on how your life is impacted, your symptoms. The diagnosis is more or less irrelevant. Supporting evidence can come from friends and family as well as professionals.

Children
No Data