Hello - Looking For Help Please

Diagnosed ASD in 2019.

Had zero help or support.

No local support groups available.

Struggling desperately with outside/external noise.

Stuck in house.

Having to use earplugs + noise-cancelling headphones at same time, pretty much all the time.

Does anyone else have any advice, please?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Typical. Ignored again. Story of my life :(

• Hi Mark. Sorry no one replied to your post. I did see it yesterday and was going to reply but sometimes I get overwhelmed with replying to posts and kind of shut down - but I wish I had of done now. I wouldn’t have been able to advise with noise outside as I have more of an issue with noise inside my home. But I do fully understand noise sensitivity. I can see you have asked for your account to be deleted, if you don’t mind me suggesting it may be in haste. When I first joined I felt like an outsider but the more I contributed the more I feel a part of this place, and there really is so much support and understanding. So while you may not find the support you were originally looking for from nas, you may well find being amongst others that ‘get it’ may be beneficial in the long run. 

• Hi Mark. Sorry no one replied to your post. I did see it yesterday and was going to reply but sometimes I get overwhelmed with replying to posts and kind of shut down - but I wish I had of done now. I wouldn’t have been able to advise with noise outside as I have more of an issue with noise inside my home. But I do fully understand noise sensitivity. I can see you have asked for your account to be deleted, if you don’t mind me suggesting it may be in haste. When I first joined I felt like an outsider but the more I contributed the more I feel a part of this place, and there really is so much support and understanding. So while you may not find the support you were originally looking for from nas, you may well find being amongst others that ‘get it’ may be beneficial in the long run. 

Children
  • Sometimes - its the luck of the draw.......I actively try to say hi to anyone new who pops up because it was a big thing for me to start writing in this place.  However, things get buried and pushed aside in the bustle of posting sometimes..........plus there is the current issues with "blocks" and "moderation" that is discombobulating some of us.

• Yes, I had a couple of nice private messages too. I agree that joining in is part of it, but it’s extremely hard at the start. I wonder if my mentioning that I felt like an outsider contributed to more people replying (as they felt they should, rather than wanted to) which then made it easier for me to contribute more. I should probably not try to analyse it too much… 

But this isn’t my thread so I’ll leave it there :) 

• When I first joined I felt like an outsider but the more I contributed the more I feel a part of this place, and there really is so much support and understanding.

That's really good to hear Zoe.

I remember some of your earlier posts and I notice that you have joined in more.

I so agree that you need to contribute to really benefit.

That's been my experience too.