Does anyone have problems with playing video games for hours on end without stopping every day?

I have always played video games since I was young. I am now 31.

Currently I probably play 3 hours average per day plus 4-5 at weekends.  I can become incredibly invested.

Time just seems to pass by very quickly and I only really stop because my partner tells me to. 

Anyone experience this?  Is it good? Or is it bad?

Cheers

Parents
  • I have to say that sounds like an unhealthy addiction to me.  It's what, more than 50 days a year, assuming all 24 hours?  No judgement at all - we all do things that wouldn't appeal to others - but you could achieve a hell of a lot in that time. I run one of our little companies in less time than that.  But whatever gets you thro the night.

• I think that's a good way to think of things - it's like my counterfactual point above but from the perspective of what other productive things could I do with your time. More than 50 days a year - wow! Think of all of that time.

I posted in another thread about decision making and backward induction. Do you have any life goals, or even just short term things you would like to do? It could be going on a particular holiday, it could be upskilling, losing weight, getting fit enough to run a 5k or a 10k, volunteering for a charity, maybe acting as a mentor or carer for someone less able than you. What do you want to do or achieve that you currently are not doing? Work back from there to establish what you need to do. Then do it. e.g. you want to go on some particular holiday but don't have the money. With those 50 days you could take up a side job, part time job, and earn some $$$ to save up for it :)

What would your future self say to you? I'm not sure my future self would tell me they wished they'd played more video games in my 30s :) 

• I think that's a good way to think of things - it's like my counterfactual point above but from the perspective of what other productive things could I do with your time. More than 50 days a year - wow! Think of all of that time.

I posted in another thread about decision making and backward induction. Do you have any life goals, or even just short term things you would like to do? It could be going on a particular holiday, it could be upskilling, losing weight, getting fit enough to run a 5k or a 10k, volunteering for a charity, maybe acting as a mentor or carer for someone less able than you. What do you want to do or achieve that you currently are not doing? Work back from there to establish what you need to do. Then do it. e.g. you want to go on some particular holiday but don't have the money. With those 50 days you could take up a side job, part time job, and earn some $$$ to save up for it :)

What would your future self say to you? I'm not sure my future self would tell me they wished they'd played more video games in my 30s :) 

Children
No Data