Why is this so hard?

Hi everyone.  

I'm almost 27 and I have had the first part of my assessment for a diagnosis, just waiting on the second part.   

I don't really know if I do have autism.  I think I do and so do my family but its something we have only started recognising over the past few years.   I'm really struggling to cope with a lot of things, especially as things are at the moment.   I'm particularly struggling with work because I don't know if I can or should talk to them about how I am.  I feel silly doing it when I don't have a diagnosis.  It's just really hard being me at the moment I guess.  

I had my first assessment at the start of July.  I was told I should get a diagnosis within 3 months but I haven't heard anything from them since.   Does anyone know anything I can do or anywhere I can turn?   I don't have any autistic friends to help me or guide me either.  

Thanks everyone.  Take care 

Slight smile

Parents
  • Hi, I have recently been diagnosed too. My work were aware of it for 2 years prior to me getting a diagnosis. I was struggling a lot with certain things and needed that extra support so I mentioned it. It isn’t silly at all to say something, the fact that you are going through an assessment currently means a lot so it shows your difficulties. My work turned around and said to me that even without the piece of paper saying I had a diagnosis, that it didn’t matter. Entirely up to you but hope this gives you something to think about :) 

• What sort of thing did you say to them? I dont know how sort of.. detailed I'm expected to be as such.  If that makes sense.    And like I said to the comment above, I'm so scared I will tell them how I am (which is a major task for me, trying to explain how I feel. My anxiety doesnt cope well at all. Not sure if it's the same for you guys) and then I wont get a diagnosis in the end.  

I've never been so lost and so confused in my life

Thank you Slight smile

• It wasn’t easy by far but certain things have shown themselves at work, like having meltdowns when things change last minute, not being able to cope when I can’t plan ahead so it kind of came from those discussions. Admitted I had people who didn’t understand and accuse me of lying, but on the opposite side I had support from a lot of people, and I kept pushing for my rights. I would perhaps bullet point your difficulties to help, it depends on whether you can talk to someone well who you can trust? The person I didn’t think I could trust has been the most supportive surprisingly and that has helped me massively and I am now a valued member of staff. It just goes to show that some people can take it seriously and make the adjustments I need to help me succeed in my job. And I guess at the end of the day, that’s what you want, to be able to manage better and that’s a win win for all. 

• It wasn’t easy by far but certain things have shown themselves at work, like having meltdowns when things change last minute, not being able to cope when I can’t plan ahead so it kind of came from those discussions. Admitted I had people who didn’t understand and accuse me of lying, but on the opposite side I had support from a lot of people, and I kept pushing for my rights. I would perhaps bullet point your difficulties to help, it depends on whether you can talk to someone well who you can trust? The person I didn’t think I could trust has been the most supportive surprisingly and that has helped me massively and I am now a valued member of staff. It just goes to show that some people can take it seriously and make the adjustments I need to help me succeed in my job. And I guess at the end of the day, that’s what you want, to be able to manage better and that’s a win win for all. 

Children
No Data