Looking into Autism and recognising plenty

Hi, I'm a 53 year female and have recently stumbled across some Autism videos and blogs regarding the way autism presents in girls and women.  I recognise many of the trails and experiences although it's taking a while to slowly work through all my many decades and put some of my odd behaviours and dramatic reactions into this context.  

It seems likely that I coped, studied and masked as a child and, given my age, it's unlikely anyone would have picked up on it back in the 1970s anyway.  I've also seen the word Dysgraphia connected to the condition and, having never seen that word before, that's sent my research into a whole new direction. Nerd

Anyway, it's still early days (as far as this possible diagnosis is concerned) so I'm just joined in order to read some more and decide if it's worth going for an official diagnosis.  That all sounds like far more trouble than it's worth but then, I think that's a trait too! Smiley It seems that I avoided a lot of serious problems due to masking, learning through watching/tv shows and writing both imaginative stories  and detailed self analysis.  I'd already reached a place where I seemed to understand most of my oddities and had adapted accordingly and, since going part time, things have become easier anyway - far more time for me to regain my balance before throwing myself back out there again. 

So I might simply be able to take this new information on board and continue as usual.  I'll wait and see if I feel I really need an actual diagnosis.

So, hello again and I look forward to getting to know you all and finding out more.