26 Year old son has just been diagnosed with ASD, how do I help

Hi,

My 26 year old son has just been diagnosed with ASD,  how do I help him?  how do I make my family understand that he's not "a waste of space? Where can I learn more about adults with Autism?  I just want to help and understand my son as much as I can. Please Help with any advice you have.

Thank you

Parents
  • As an adult who only got a diagnosis recently I think what you can do to help will be really individual to your son and your/his circumstances. For me what I really want from family and friends is understanding and that they ask me what would help and listen to me and don’t impose their own idea of what life should be like on me. I’m lucky that they do that. Of course I haven’t always known what would help and it’s been a bit of a voyage of discovery for me over the last year to understand myself!

I suppose it depends on your relationship with your son and his attitude to getting a diagnosis. If he’s very negative about it it’ll be hard (I wanted the diagnosis and see it as a positive which makes it easier). If you can why don’t you and he explore together? There’s a lot of great YouTube videos and blogs by adult autistics that might be a good place to start. Also see if there are any support groups for adults in your area maybe. I’ve found that a brilliant source of information.

• As an adult who only got a diagnosis recently I think what you can do to help will be really individual to your son and your/his circumstances. For me what I really want from family and friends is understanding and that they ask me what would help and listen to me and don’t impose their own idea of what life should be like on me. I’m lucky that they do that. Of course I haven’t always known what would help and it’s been a bit of a voyage of discovery for me over the last year to understand myself!

I suppose it depends on your relationship with your son and his attitude to getting a diagnosis. If he’s very negative about it it’ll be hard (I wanted the diagnosis and see it as a positive which makes it easier). If you can why don’t you and he explore together? There’s a lot of great YouTube videos and blogs by adult autistics that might be a good place to start. Also see if there are any support groups for adults in your area maybe. I’ve found that a brilliant source of information.

Children
No Data