I need advice following a casual comment from my toddler's nursery...

Hi, I'm new. New to this forum and new to thinking about autism beyond what I've seen on tv or heard on the radio.

I have a 2.5yr old son. Talking to his key stage worker (KSW) at his nursery yesterday I asked what they mean when they say "you know what he's like". What is he like? I asked. We only have one child so I have no frame of reference.

His KSW casually said that my son can have emotional reactions to situations which are disproportionate considering his good language/communication skills, and that can be a sign that he is on the autism spectrum.

He said it was 'something to look out for' or 'keep an eye on', I forget which. 

So now I'm trying not to project this throwaway comment onto him and I'm frankly a bit confused about what to look out for and how to look out for it and what to do if I notice it. 

My son is generally a happy, affectionate, articulate little boy. Should I just forget the conversation or will I potentially help him in the long run by assuming he may be on the spectrum?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tim.

Parents
  • Emotional disregulation is certainly a part of autism, and some children with autism do have an advanced vocabulary for their age, but realistically that is not nearly enough to say for definite and if he is getting along well enough otherwise, at 2.5 I wouldn’t do too much about it other than be aware that it may become something that is relevant later (e.g. if difficulties become more obvious) and keep an eye out for traits. 

Everyone with autism is unique, so their presentation will be unique, but some things to look out for in a young child could be:

1) Sensory issues - being over or under sensitive to light, sound, smell, touch, pain etc. This could manifest as being a ‘fussy’ eater, not noticing injuries, disliking/liking noisy activities, favouring certain blankets/clothes etc.

2) Not making eye contact, or making fleeting eye contact, particularly with unfamiliar people.

3) Being in his own world - playing alone or with others but not actively engaging with them. Sometimes as they they do things their own way or ‘play to their own tune’.

4) Stimming behaviours - rocking, hand flapping, clapping, tapping, playing with things in hand, chewing etc. These are generally self-comforting behaviours and may be very noticeable or more subtle.

5) Becoming overly upset easily, particularly due to minor unexpected changes.

6) Speech problems, which could be mild or more significant. Alternatively, speech may be fine.

7) Saying the opposite of what is meant or repeating questions/phrases back.

If you do start to notice more traits and it begins to have a significant affect on your son, then at some point it may become helpful to seek a diagnosis, but whilst he is happy and doing well I wouldn’t personally look at that. 

• Emotional disregulation is certainly a part of autism, and some children with autism do have an advanced vocabulary for their age, but realistically that is not nearly enough to say for definite and if he is getting along well enough otherwise, at 2.5 I wouldn’t do too much about it other than be aware that it may become something that is relevant later (e.g. if difficulties become more obvious) and keep an eye out for traits. 

Everyone with autism is unique, so their presentation will be unique, but some things to look out for in a young child could be:

1) Sensory issues - being over or under sensitive to light, sound, smell, touch, pain etc. This could manifest as being a ‘fussy’ eater, not noticing injuries, disliking/liking noisy activities, favouring certain blankets/clothes etc.

2) Not making eye contact, or making fleeting eye contact, particularly with unfamiliar people.

3) Being in his own world - playing alone or with others but not actively engaging with them. Sometimes as they they do things their own way or ‘play to their own tune’.

4) Stimming behaviours - rocking, hand flapping, clapping, tapping, playing with things in hand, chewing etc. These are generally self-comforting behaviours and may be very noticeable or more subtle.

5) Becoming overly upset easily, particularly due to minor unexpected changes.

6) Speech problems, which could be mild or more significant. Alternatively, speech may be fine.

7) Saying the opposite of what is meant or repeating questions/phrases back.

If you do start to notice more traits and it begins to have a significant affect on your son, then at some point it may become helpful to seek a diagnosis, but whilst he is happy and doing well I wouldn’t personally look at that. 

Children
  • You have missed out Language Comprehension. This is very important should an autistic person with little understanding of Language comprehension, the understanding on spoken or written language. Have to go to Court . The Magistrate or Judge will assume the person can understand everything happening.