hypersensitivity to noise

My 10 year old is very sensitive to noise, which can make working in a noisy classroom difficult, and today made a school trip to the panto very stressful for both of us - we had to leave.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to deal with this problem, which i fear is goin to be harder to cope with at secondary school?

Would earplugs help in places like the pantomime?

Parents
  • I used to think this did not bother me, but I guess I was kind of misleading myself and thinking I was "normal" and that noise did not bother me any more than a "normal" person. Only now do I realise perhaps I am a little more concerned about that little rattling noise in the car, the buzz from fluorescent lights, and electrical buzzing from equipment. I guess I find them more of a distraction than an intollerable part of the environment though.

I was rather concerned to see a family on the TV once where the mother had her little autistic son wearing ear mufflers everywhere they went because he was sensitive to noise. The concern for me would be that once they come off, everything will appear much noisier making those times difficult instead, and that he will never adapt to noises and learn to tolerate them - and in the long run it will make things far more difficult. I.e. dealing with the short term issue to the neglect of long-term ones.

If anyone is looking for ear plugs, I noticed Home Bargains currently has the ones you push in your ear for 99p, there's a few pairs in the pack.

• I used to think this did not bother me, but I guess I was kind of misleading myself and thinking I was "normal" and that noise did not bother me any more than a "normal" person. Only now do I realise perhaps I am a little more concerned about that little rattling noise in the car, the buzz from fluorescent lights, and electrical buzzing from equipment. I guess I find them more of a distraction than an intollerable part of the environment though.

I was rather concerned to see a family on the TV once where the mother had her little autistic son wearing ear mufflers everywhere they went because he was sensitive to noise. The concern for me would be that once they come off, everything will appear much noisier making those times difficult instead, and that he will never adapt to noises and learn to tolerate them - and in the long run it will make things far more difficult. I.e. dealing with the short term issue to the neglect of long-term ones.

If anyone is looking for ear plugs, I noticed Home Bargains currently has the ones you push in your ear for 99p, there's a few pairs in the pack.

Children
No Data