Finding meaning in life

How do you all make your life feel meaningful? I am 42 single living with parents. No children no great achievements. I wanted to do more but feel life life never got started because mental illness got in the way. I cant save money because I spend when I feel bad which is often. I'm tired of feeling like lofe is going nowhere. 

• You have to "create" a meaning. Simple, but not easy. Sometimes imagination won't cut it, sometimes you have to go out (I know!) & find it. It's almost impossible for meaning to find you, because not many things have inherent meaning; they just exist. (My opinion of course) 

• I don't really know what the way to get help is. I find it hard to relate to other people and communicate with them. 

• I think life without examination is a bit hollow. By that, I mean taking time out to try to figure out how we came to be here and where consciousness comes from. If you believe we all operate on the purely 'physical' level in a kind of Newtonian clockwork universe then that would be very depressing. But I think we need to look at the more mysterious roots of our existence which, I believe, we are destined to evolve towards. Maybe all I am simply stating is that we all need to grow.

• Desmond79 was born to sing Slight smile

Heart

• We exist for a purpose.

The meaning of life is just to love and be loved. However, cultural differences get in the way. Some people with wealth are misanthropic and act the proverbial Blofield. But that doesn't make money bad; it's what are in our hearts and minds.

• Yes, you're right Wink

• I seem tied to my routines but in a way, it has made me care for my mom who has dementia and needs daily care. If I had been different I would have probably left home by now and she would have been placed in a home since there is no way she could be left by herself for too long as it would be dangerous. If I was the kind of guy who had friends and went out more it would leave her a bit vulnerable, for example, she has had a few falls in the past and had I not been there she would have had trouble getting up, if at all. So, funnily enough, me being the as I am has benefited her in terms of not having to sell her house to fund her care in a home and indeed not have to put up with possible abuse that you sometimes read about in care homes. So, in one sense it's been positive in terms of feeling I'm doing something useful in life but the downside, of course, is that I'm still basically a very lonely and isolated person which no doubt many people would say was my own fault as it's up to me to change that. Hmmm..,.  

• we need people like u in this forumn. could u do us a favour and update ur profile to have a nice name and maybe an image ----- we need people like you to take part in our forum to give answers from real experince

Heart

• My son has autism and very hard and that's why I feel the way I do. How males have treated me is a trigger how my son is with me. Im 40 now and getting help. It feels like a nightmare at times. 

Don't let these men ruin you! You are special as my son always says to me. 

• I'm sorry what your going through. Last night, I wanted to end my life and didn't. I know what its like to be trapped in your head. My dad was abusive in so many ways and ex husband.

Have you tried getting help? 

• It's really good to have you on the forum Emmy.

When we've been on the forum a while, we get to understand some of the others who regularly post. You and Roswell will both know a little bit more about each other after this.

• He did though? he said "Try being a man, who has no friends, and is Autistic and mentally ill" he is assuming that I havent experienced those things.  

Regardless, I am stepping away from this post because its getting too heavy and I am getting overwhelmed. 

• Hi ,

I'll let you into a secret. Your life is as meanful as anyone elses. If anyone tells you anything else please ignore them.

• To be fair. Roswell didn't assume. Not that you were definitely saying he was as such.

We all walk a different life, we have different ways of dealing with things. What works well for some may not work so well for another.

Some of us will take warmth from your words, and some of us will need to find our warmth in other ways.

Peace to you both.

• Literally had the same experiences dude, I'm not claiming to be a sage, I am trying to help. 

I'm not going to sit here and talk about all the trauma I have been through in order for you to maybe listen to me, take the advice or dont. 

I just recognized myself in the way that you was speaking, and thought I would tell you what helped me through that. 

Please don't assume others havent experienced trauma. We are all hurt people here. 

I hope you get the help you need and can see this through. 

• I've been raped, robbed, beaten up, had death threats, lost almost everything I ever aspired for. All I have lived for has been for nothing. So tell me, wise sage, where is the meaning in that?

• I am a person with autism, mental illness, no friends and a shut in. Trust me, I know the world is cruel, which is why I avoid it the majority of the time. (seriously last time I left the house was last year and that was only for an hour, havent been out sice except to a furneral and even then I have to have valium to keep my anxiety down.  I have my own history with the mental health system, breakdowns, hospitals therapists etc. I know its all very hard and its so easy to just give up on any hope that things will be different. But trust me, outlook on life, positivity and being kind to yourself goes a long way when it comes to quality of life.

Its exhausting at times and it is hard but it helps a lot. Be kind to yourself.  

• All of those people are weak phony hypocrites. None of them care about people like me. I tried, they take the mickey out of me. 

Try being a man, who has no friends, and is Autistic and mentally ill. Suddenly you will see just how cruel and cold this world is.

• Are you getting help? There are crisis cafes, crisis text services if you don't want to talk to people in person etc, theres lots of options out there. and a lot of them are trial and error, so if you have tried something before, its always worth trying again. 

also could I ask that if you are going to talk about self harm and you are going to discribe it, please put in capitals a TRIGGER WARNING (self harm) infront of your text, so that people who are triggered by reading about such things, know to avoid it.