Problems with mood

I know there are quite a few people on here that have had struggles with mental health. I'm wondering if anyone could advise me from their experiences. 

I've always had a slightly up and down mood, even as a child. But never to an extreme and never long lasting. I've always been easily irritated and angered which I would assume is my autism. The last few years I've noticed more and more periods of low mood. I think part of this may be due to lack of friends. But it tends to go away when I'm busy so I've never been too concerned.

At the moment my mood seems to be lower and longer lasting. It does still go away for periods when I'm at work and I feel fine. But I'm feeling like I'm more easily irritated by others at work at the moment and I'm worried about this getting work. In the evenings I do feel really quite low. It's a very heavy feeling and I have no idea why. Could it be depression? Or would I feel like this constantly if it were depression?

I know I should probably go to the doctors about this but I know I won't tell them. I don't know why but I've never been able to admit to low mood to an actual person. This is the only place I've ever been able to admit to it. I don't think I could even write it down and give it to them because I'd still have to discuss it.

The last time I went to the doctor they said to have a think about whether I wanted referring about my anxiety for a talking therapy or medication. I'm really not sure I want this either. But at the same time I'm not sure the anxiety and mood can carry on and I'm worried about it all getting worse.

Any advice?

Parents
  • Are you eating a wholesome diet? Getting lots of fresh air and time spent in nature? Are you having any fun? That might sound like a silly question, but ‘fun’ is almost like a curse of death word to me as I never really understood what fun was. I certainly didn’t seem to get it in the same way others did, and I’m only now, slowly starting the build some of it into my life. 

Are you getting regular exercise? Enough down time/you time? Have you got any plans or goals, no matter how big or small? Is there anything that you used to enjoy, that you have forgotten about? 

Sometimes, we have to do something until we feel like doing it, and not when we feel like doing it. If that makes sense. For example, we might not feel like exercising, but until we do, we won’t start to feel the guaranteed benefits of regular physical activity. But when we begin, regardless of how we feel, often sooner rather than later, we find we’re doing it because we feel like doing it. 

The hardest part of anything is getting started, but until we do, we can’t reap any benefits. ~ this is a self talk to me by the way Laughing Laughing ~ I know I’m coming to the end of my burnout Disappointed relieved ~ so I’m gently preparing myself for the transition. 

• Diet for me is an issue. I have massive sensory issues with taste and texture so the food I eat is extremely limited.

I get plenty of fresh air and do spend time in nature.

There are activities I enjoy and when I do them I still enjoy them but I am finding it harder to find the motivation at the moment.

I could probably do more exercise but I do do it.

I have lots of me time and like to spend it watching films etc.

• So long as you’re meeting your nutritional needs, it’s ok to have a limited diet. I also have extreme sensitivity to food, both before it enters my body and afterwards. So I also have  a limited diet, which suits me as I like things simple. I eat a mostly raw diet as I find I’m more sensitive to cooked food. 

It sounds like you’re meeting all your other needs apart from maybe social contact so maybe that’s where you could focus your energy? Shrug tone1‍ or maybe it’s a lack of direction? I don’t know but I wouldn’t ignore it if it seems to not be easing up. Maybe you need a new goal or a change in lifestyle or something? 

• If you truly feel ur issues are due to lack of interaction I may be able to help. If your into gaming I’d highly recommend twitch, ive never been so social in my life as I have last year or 2 on twitch, and even though being social is till causing me issues we are all different and it may better your situation. 

If you do go ahead with this idea, I’m a streamer myself and would be happy to chat s&@t with you whilst I stream. 

• I take on board what you say about comfort zones and I'm not dismissing it because I do think you have a point. But this is where I hit a bit of a wall. The thought of going to something where I know no one puts my anxiety through the roof. So do I need to do something about my anxiety before I even consider a step like that?

My other difficulty is the only group like this I know of in my area is largely made up of people with learning difficulties. This isn't the kind of group that I'd be looking for.

I just wish I could make 1 friend that would be happy to do the kind of activities that I like. I enjoy things like ice skating and I love going to places like the zoo. The friends I do have either hate these activities or can't afford to go. I also only speak to/meet up with these friends as a group. I very rarely see them 1 on 1.

• I take on board what you say about comfort zones and I'm not dismissing it because I do think you have a point. But this is where I hit a bit of a wall. The thought of going to something where I know no one puts my anxiety through the roof. So do I need to do something about my anxiety before I even consider a step like that?

My other difficulty is the only group like this I know of in my area is largely made up of people with learning difficulties. This isn't the kind of group that I'd be looking for.

I just wish I could make 1 friend that would be happy to do the kind of activities that I like. I enjoy things like ice skating and I love going to places like the zoo. The friends I do have either hate these activities or can't afford to go. I also only speak to/meet up with these friends as a group. I very rarely see them 1 on 1.

Children
No Data